I have a 9 yr old son who has problems

My son who is 9 yrs old he is adhd and mild austic whom is on riddlen and has been on it sence he was 4 yrs old because they kicked him out of school until we got him on riddlen I honestly think it has made him worse he has majore behavioral problems he dont listen he can be mean at times i have talked to the doctor about it and the doctor said its not the medication its his disabilites yes it calms him down but my son was never volient before and they tried him on other medications but it made him worse so they put him back on the riddlen and i am running out of option on what to do with him. So if anyone has any advice please help me thanks

heidicoone

Asked by heidicoone at 11:17 PM on Oct. 26, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• does he go to a therapist? my autistic 9 year old has weekly therapist appointments he goes to. They teach him how to deal with his emotions in ways other than violence.
    Anonymous

• No he don't go to no therpist or anything like that. I tried getting him into couslen but he refuses to go and says he gets couslen in school and I try to get him to tell me what is bother him and he wont tell me
    heidicoone

Answer by heidicoone at 11:24 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• well, you have to make him go. remember- you are the parent, he is the child, he does what you say, even if that means therapy.

It may take several trips for him to get used to the therapist too, that's normal.

also, try this book- http://www.amazon.com/Aspergers-What-Does-Mean-Me/dp/1885477597/ref=cm_lmf_tit_12
    Anonymous

• I believe my son has major anger issues now he is extramely close to me and sence i had my 2 boys and then i got married and now i have 2 step kids then i have my daughter he just turned around and when i try to spend time with the other kids he hates it thats when i noticed a major difference in his behavior
    heidicoone

Answer by heidicoone at 11:30 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I have an autistic teen that has been diagnosed since he was a toddler. Autisics have sensory overload. All of their sences are heightened. What may seem like a tiny sound to you can cause pain in him and that goes for all of his sences. The wrong type of fabric can be very unnerving to them. A person typing on a keyboard is irritating because it is an overload. Tiny things that we pay no attention to autistics see and hear and feel different everything. I would do research on the meds they are giving him. Mine is on a medication to help him keep the over loading sensories. Also you can use a soft surgical brush and brush down his arms and legs. You don't use a lot of pressure but you do apply a little otherwise it will irritate them. Look it up on line under Body brushing method for autistics. It may take a couple of times but soon they like it, it helped mine
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 11:42 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I know what your saying about sences my son hates the vaccum cleaner its to loud and even the radio and he flips out over it and its not loud. my son likes his back rubbed
    heidicoone

Answer by heidicoone at 11:48 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Also do a search on the meds. It could be he is on the wrong kind or he may not need them.
    We have even used weighted vest on him before and that helped. Autistics like the weighted feeling of things. Mine used to wiggle in between me and the back of my sofa when he would get overwhelmed. Or he would bounce a ball up and down the driveway while he is thinking. They can be taught how to calm themselves and refocus. Sometimes they teach us
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 11:51 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I have done a search on the meds and the doctor wont take him off of it and put him on something else they tried other meds and my son went bannans another thing i dont like about the riddlen that my son dont eat that much and it stunned his growth and we had him off of it all summer long and he went to summer school no problems at school he gets back into reg school and the school kicked him out until we got him back on the riddlen when my son acts out and flips out i usally just ignore it go into another room until he calms down then we will sit down and talk to him about why he flipped out and he will say i dont know
    heidicoone

Answer by heidicoone at 11:56 PM on Oct. 26, 2008