do bunk beds worry you?

We are on the fence about buying bunks for Xmas. Kids at that time will be 6 & 4 1/2. Really need the space badly but the height and stuff really freaks me out. .. Are some brands better than others?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 6:29 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Kids' Health

• toobigfrogs.....lol

I like bunkbeds we have had them forever and still use them. No injuries---knock on wood!
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 7:31 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I dont know what brands are better but I would keep the youngest on bottom just to be safe.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 6:30 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I've always heard the general rule is no bunkbeds for kids under 6, and they do scare me.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 6:39 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Bunkbeds don't scare me at all. My brother had them growing up starting at age 3 and none of us ever fell out, even while playing. My boys had them starting when they were 4 and 6 - my younger one is now 10 and still has them. No problems ever (and the younger one slept on the top bunk)

Answer by missanc at 6:50 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• My son fell off the top bunk twice while sleeping. He was six. He was on the top because my mom was sleeping on the bottom. But, my son also falls off the couch when he's sleeping. And, he falls out of chairs when he's awake...LOL He never got hurt, but I did give up the bunk beds. Sometimes I wish we still had them.
    toobigfrogs

Answer by toobigfrogs at 7:00 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I should probably clarify that I wish we still had bunkbeds for the extra room!
    toobigfrogs

Answer by toobigfrogs at 7:01 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I have bunk beds. Make sure they are sturdy and heavy enough that they can't be tipped over and you should be fine. The kids will climb on them!
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 8:21 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I had bunk beds when I was a kid. We'd climb all over them and do some fairly crazy gymnastics on them, but no one ever got hurt. We'll probably get a bunk bed for our son when he gets older.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 9:44 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• They do scare me....although with the space constrictions here, I may have to get over that fear. I know they make bunk beds with rails, have you looked into those?
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 5:49 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• No they don't scare me. My #1 and 2 had bunk beds for a while, now #2 and 3 have them. It does give us a bit more space. In both cases the youngest in age was on the bottom and 'forbidden' to go on top bunk (as that was brother's space).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:19 AM on Oct. 12, 2010