Dead beat dads

My little boy's (2 years old) father is a dead beat. It has been 10 months since we spilt, he has seen him 2 times. One I had to bring to him about 600 miles around trip. He hasn't given us one penny. And the last time we even heard from him was 3 months ago , he sent a text 5 days after my son's birthday to tell him to have a happy birthday , that was all. My little boy is so sweet and loving soon i know he will start asking about his dad. I dont know what to tell him. How have you handled these questions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:29 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• well my son was 10moths when his deadbeat dad walked out of his life, he is now 4 yrs old, my son will ask fro him like hell, my therapist sugguested i call the deadbeat so i did call when ds wasnt around, he only said to tell him hi, so i did, now i just tell son that daddy didnt answer& that i dnt know where he is at,
    Anonymous

• I had a similar situation and I was honest with my daughter right from the get go! When they grow up you don't wanna have to explain any lies you told thinking you we're protecting him. As for the dead beat, if you do get a chance to talk to him, I'd be straight forward and ask him what his plan is in being or not being a father to your son? It's a sad situation but I feel if a child has one good parent they're lucky! Theres sooo many kids that have neither. Be the best mom you can be!
    anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 6:56 PM on Oct. 11, 2010