Teenage Pregnancy?... Help me?? adult content

Hey girls.. I'm Sam.. I am seventeen, an lately i have been talking to my mother about a baby. I would make a good mother, but i dont know if i am ready. Any advice? Please help?

Samanthastarr17

Asked by Samanthastarr17 at 6:43 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I can understand how you feel! You sound mature for still being a "teen". (More mature than other moms WAY older on here! lol) Do you think you could handle all of the pressure with school, helping your mom, having a baby, and still having time for you?? It is a big decision and you are doing the right thing by thinking it out, not just doing it. What about waiting at least until you graduate?? Not trying to be a downer, just trying to help you think things through. There is a lot to think about-- bills, food, diapers, clothes and other stuff you would have to get the baby... Not to mention no going out with friends, etc. Think long and hard about it! Good Luck!
    mom2maddie06

Answer by mom2maddie06 at 7:21 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• If this is a legit post, WAIT. There is so much to do in your youth and more important things to focus on. Like an education so you can one day pay for and support any children
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:45 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Please wait. My parents were 17 when they had me, and I think they did the best they could, but they were just kids themselves. Many teen moms do a good job, but they don't yet have the full maturity and experience that they should have before they become parents. Not to mention being financially stable on their own.

Years later, my parents seemed to feel that they had missed out on a lot of the things that they didn't get to do when they were younger. Do those things now while you're young. Don't take on such huge responsibility yet. Have a little more life experience, education and financial stability before you have a baby.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 6:49 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Honestly, I know how you feel, but you really need to take some time to stop caring for people and be yourself. That may seem like it's unrealistic, but in all honesty, if you don't the time will come when your child is growing up that you will feel resentment towards what you missed.
    I had a mom that needed help in many ways. I wanted a baby when I was your age.
    I did get my own job, an apartment, and lived close to Seattle. Every day I had the choice of what to do for myself.
    It really will help you down the road to prepare for not just a child, but giving your child the best future possible if you do wait. You need time to see that. The time will come. You will be ok, and you will find what your heart is looking for. Just give yourself a little more time.
    6girlsrock

Answer by 6girlsrock at 6:59 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• A baby always has been and always will be easier after highschool, after college, and once you have your own apt/house with privacy to do things your way. All the fun things that pop into your mind about babies like visiting the portrait studio, buying great toys, cute clothes, etc are only possible with an education and income. It's not nearly as fun lugging a baby in a 2nd hand stroller in stained 2nd hand clothes to visit the food pantry and hoping to God they have diapers available this week
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:47 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• You're 17.... you're not ready. Raising a child is most likely the hardest thing you'll ever have to do. I waited till I was 36, in a steady relationship, with a steady income, etc. and I was STILL completely overwhelmed. Grow up first.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:50 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• You can NOT compare "being a parent to your mother" with having an infant.... Not even close. And how do you plan on supporting this baby? Who is going to watch that baby while you work (because forget going to school)? And what about the father, are just just going to have some random guy knock you up?

I know at 17, you think you have everything figured out, but believe me, you don't. Having a baby right now would be incredibly stupid, and incredibly selfish. Believe me, you would be doing that child a great disservice.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:59 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• You know, I think a lot of us DO understand... But it also seems like you have quite a lot on your plate already, and adding a baby to that mix is just not going help matters at all. You will be a much better role model to your child when you're more established in life, after you get a good education and a good job, trust me. Babies are hard work. And at the risk of sounding condescending, 17 is awfully young to know for sure you will be with the guy you're with now for the rest of your life. It CAN happen, yes, but the odds are against it.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:15 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Sam are you PREGNANT? Or like considering becoming pregnant?
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:45 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• ur 17? no do not get pregnant! i wasnt even ready at 20! u need to finish school! im sure u will make a great mom in 5 years or more! please wait u have no clue how much ur life will change. i never see my friends or go out. ur life will be work and ur baby. please wait until ur married or at least older and have a good job. babies are a lot of money. its $40 for diapers for a month, and baby food is 50 cents a jar so thats about a dollar a day, then clothes and formula is like 30 dollars a can that last maybe a week! i love my daughter but i wish i had waited. please please wait!!!
    Anonymous