Extreme to the point of being humorous.

I am not saying that every Christian is like this, but one of my regulars here at the library where I work, said that he mentioned to an overly Religious sister that he knows someone who is an atheist and believes in magic (He said it for kicks to see what she would say). Her reaction? She got freaked out and said that he needs to hold a bible to my head and pray for the demons to leave! Anyone else know of silly cases like this?

wenona_mandy

Asked by wenona_mandy at 6:53 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Well that reaction sounds about right.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:02 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• sahmamax2: I am not a wiccan or so. By believing in magic, I believe in faeries, and that magic "tricks" can sometimes reach into a different dimension, etc.
    wenona_mandy

Comment by wenona_mandy (original poster) at 7:08 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Anyways, I know wiccans and I think it is silly if people act like witch hunters, when they learn that someone practices that.
    wenona_mandy

Comment by wenona_mandy (original poster) at 7:10 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• ppl are so closed minded. i think that was a total overaction. i wouldve laughed
    newmommyjazz

Answer by newmommyjazz at 7:16 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Hmmm, I'm having a hard time understanding your point. I don't see her reaction as being like a "witch hunt". She was confronted with information about someone, and her reaction was to get the demons out. She didn't run down the hall seeking you out, holding you down while pressing a bible against your head, did she? So I am just unsure what your point is.
    I'm not trying to be difficult here, I really am not. I'm just trying to understand why you are questioning her reaction. She is religious....he must have KNOWN how she would have reacted.
    I'm not surprised by it. Are you?!
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:18 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• "ppl are so closed minded. i think that was a total overaction."

I don't think it was about being close minded...but rather a reaction of fear and misunderstanding of what an atheist really is AND can be.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:20 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• sahmamax2: I am sorry. I didn't mean offense or anything. I just thought that by the response, that it sounded like you were saying that she was correct in her response or something.
    wenona_mandy

Comment by wenona_mandy (original poster) at 7:23 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• We have a family in town that believe Deodorant or store bought soaps are against Gods laws... And I have had hem "lecture" me on these subjects more than once... Yeah, I actually laughed more than once...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:26 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Sabrina: Gross!... I wouldn't want to be around them much, and not just because they are religious. *Ack!* *Gag!* LOL
    wenona_mandy

Comment by wenona_mandy (original poster) at 7:30 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• LOL wenona...you didn't offend me at all! I was just confused by your question and your reply. As I don't view her reaction as a witch hunt or right or wrong. It was simply her reaction. had you been there and she began preaching to you and chasing you down with a bible in hand, then yes I'd say she was on a hunt and it would cross over into the extreme. KWIM?
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:45 PM on Oct. 11, 2010