can a baby born at 35 weeks come home when mom does?

Duck3y

Asked by Duck3y at 6:58 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sometimes, but usually not.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:00 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• it depends on if the lungs are developed enough or not
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:02 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• If the baby weighs 4 lbs or over and passes all the tests they do (including apgars and being able to hold their body temp and bottle or breast feed) then it will be allowed to go home.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:04 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• well at 33 weeks 5 days i started going into early labor and my dr stopped my labor for 48 hours to give me the steroid injections for the babies lungs. and when i went to my regular appointment my dr said if i went into labor now the baby would be fine. now either im just being silly but ive been having some of the same contractions from earlier. so in the morning i have a appointment n if nothing happens at least i will know. lol
    Duck3y

Comment by Duck3y (original poster) at 7:06 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I had my youngest at 33 wks and 3 days. She was in the NICU for a month even though she was 5 lbs 2 oz. She had to learn to eat, maintain her temp and gain some more weight. Even now, at 8 yrs old, she has tons of health issues. She has a very sensitive stomach, gets sick super easy and still has a very low body weight. (currently at 2% BMI)

There were other babies in the NICU with her that were able to go home within 2-3 days that were born around the same gestation. It just depends on the baby. Good luck and I hope he/she stays put a bit longer.
    luvsmygirls77

Answer by luvsmygirls77 at 7:10 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• My second DD was a 35w baby that had interuterine growth restriction she developed pneumonia within the first 36 hrs and that was the start of our issues. She was small and is still small and other than a touch of asthma she is a perfectly healthy annoying teenager. I also have triplets born at 31 w and they were all home by what would havebeen 35 weeks
    Good luck
    mtnaspen

Answer by mtnaspen at 7:24 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• My second son was born at exactly 35 weeks. My water broke early and they say that typically their lungs mature quicker when that happens and he was perfect. He came home with me the next day. He slept CONSTANTLY though, and turned bright red when he cried. He was also 6lbs8oz, so weight wasn't an issue... preemies that are breastfed gain quickly, though, because your milk is fattier. He gained 4 lbs in a month!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 7:54 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• As long as your baby's health and weight permit going home, yes. Most peds will err on the side of caution so don't be disappointed if your LO spends a little extra time in the NICU. Good luck, I hope all goes well :)
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 8:15 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Most likely not... the baby will have to be breathing well on it's own as well as show it can eat and gain weight, maintain body temperature... but if the baby is nice and healthy I wouldn't expect a long stay... I would expect a 35 weeker to stay about a week minimum.

AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:44 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• The fact that you got the steroid shot increases the chance he will have a short stay. I had the steroid shot at 29 weeks when I went into labor. DS was born at 34 weeks, had no breathing problems and was only in the NICU 6 days.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:37 PM on Oct. 11, 2010