when did your baby start talking?

my little girl is a year and a half right now and I don't see any improvement in her speech. She can understand what things are, when i give her and her brother juice at the same time she'd make the noises that sounds like she's saying "thank you" like her brother, but she still doesn't even say words like mama or dada or baba. if you can i'd like some tips to help her start talking too.

khmymommi

Asked by khmymommi at 7:02 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• the best advice i can give is for you to constantly talk to her because it will eventually prompt her to respond. it may time but she will come around. good luck momma
    newmommyjazz

Answer by newmommyjazz at 7:05 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• have you discussed this with her dr.? it seems like they usually have quite a few words by this age. some kids hold it all in, and then all of a sudden have lots to say.
    i only remember my 1st son could say 18 words at 18 months...i don't remember any one else. they were simple words, mama, dada, baba, i think somewhere i saved the list.
    i find meal time a great time to talk. please, thank you, water, lunch, cheese, yogurt (my son used to say werget)
    good luck!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:14 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• My son is a year and a half as well he says things like mama, dada , sissy, pap pap, Gugo (Sluggo the dog), yes please to get his snack or something he wants eventhough it doesn't always come out rite, no comes through very clear and sometimes even yes. I've been doing your baby can read since age 3 months off and on he watches it very well but doesn't speak all the words or even half the words so that's not going to be your cure to this. Every child develops diffrently, just keep talking to her and encouraging her to say things back to you with the yes please it took us about a week, when i would give my child a snack i would make him say yes please and even pass it back and fourth with my husband saying yes please while passing it back and fourth he caught on really quickly! Repetition is what they say is the best thing, at least that is what works the best for us! Good luck!
    Bluesdawg02

Answer by Bluesdawg02 at 7:17 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• talk to her constantly like she is big girl and when you give her something make sure she says thank you and things like that,give her time and if ur that concerned talked to ur doctor
    alaina_20

Answer by alaina_20 at 7:20 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• My son has been a late talker. He did everything else early, but he was 2 1/2 before he really started trying to communicate. He could say words (and however many they say a kid should be able to say at 2 1/2), but its only been in the last few months that he's been really interested in communicating in general. He's like me, though, a thinker more than a talker. He'll be 3 at the end of the year. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:23 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• My son spoke in full sentences at 15 months. Prior to that he didn't say a word, not even babbling. Every child is different, so if you're really concerned about her speech, call your local Early Intervention provider & have them come out to evaluate her (it's usually free). They may offer you services for her, which take place in your home and are often free. She may even qualify for free developmental preschool services if they are offered in your state/area.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 7:28 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I think she should have a few words by know and I would be talking to her pediatrician about it. By 18 months my son could say a ton of words and some shot 2-3 word phrases. The words don't have to be perfect but they need to be consistent... so like with my son (who is 2) he says "Too Pa" and it means "Thank you" it's not really the word... but it has meaning and it's always the same... so it counts as a word.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:39 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I would talk to your ped. I don't know what the time frame is but my DS was saying 5 distinct word by 9 1/2 months.
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 9:39 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• If she isn't even saying mama, dada, baba at 18 months you need to discuss it with your pedi. Some kids talk later but to not be saying even minimal words at this age si of concern. My DD is 18 months and she says few word sentences (as did her 3 sisters before her at this age). like "Mama look truck" "Daddy coming out"
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 9:49 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I would talk to your dr.
    Basic words like mama and dada and such should be said at this age.
    My DD is slow in her speech but even she could say mama and dada by that age.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:48 PM on Oct. 11, 2010