Is this normal? Should I be worried? (Sleep Related)

My daughter (age 10 mths old) is sleeping a whole lot. She sleeps 12 or 13 hours at night, and has two 2-3 hour naps a day. She seems really sleepy. She isn't sick, and she never used to sleep this much. Anyway, my husband says I shouldn't be worried but I am. Am I right to be worried?

.proud.mama.

Asked by .proud.mama. at 7:26 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It could be a growth spurt. I think they sleep a bit more during that time.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 7:28 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• That's what my mom said. It just worries me, she sleeps so much.
    .proud.mama.

Comment by .proud.mama. (original poster) at 7:35 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• my son's sleeps a lot too you shouldnt worry...most babies love to sleep...
    Ms.TM

Answer by Ms.TM at 7:39 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• A baby who loves to sleep is a good thing. Think about how many questions you see about baby not wanting to sleep through the night or fighting naps.

Sleeping is helping her to grow and develop. If you are still worried tomorrow, call the pediatrician to check. Likely she is going through a growth and/or development spurt. If she is alert and happy (even 75% of the time) while awake I would think there is nothing worrisome.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:51 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• It sounds perfectly normal to me. Most children dont get enough sleep. If it's sudden and unusual, it's probably a growth spurt. DS eats like he's about to hibernate for about a week, then sleeps for a week. LOL. She could also be fighting a bug. Let her be and stop stressing. Use the extra time as mommy time and enjoy it while it lasts. :)
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 8:00 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Count your blessings! My LO was never a good sleeper. From birth she fought sleep. We are fortunate if she sleeps for 5 hours at night. She takes about 3 powernaps during the day (bout 15-20 mins). Paed says it's not health-related. She's just a very sensitive, high demand baby. My house is a constant mess because she doesn't like the sling. She wants to be help upright and able to see everything I'm doing. I'm very happy she's so alert and inquisitive but it becomes exhausting. Lol. Being a first time mom, I was in awe when I saw a mom feed the baby and it went to sleep! :)
    CassyzMom

Answer by CassyzMom at 7:40 AM on Oct. 12, 2010