Making a Quilt?

Can someone tell me how big a quilting square needs to be if I am making a 38in X 52in blanket?

prettylilrae

Asked by prettylilrae at 7:39 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Why do you need these dimensions? If you change the dimensions to 39 by 51 or 54, you could use 3 inch squares. You have to add a seam allowance on all four sides. Seam allowances can be 1/2, 5/8, or 1 inch. You also should consider the width of the binding.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:50 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• 5 inch squares would give you 40 x 55
    4 inch squares would give you 40 x 54
    and so on.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:54 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I would decide what size squares fit your style and then go from there.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:55 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Usually seam allowances are 1/4 inch per side. So if you want a 3 inch block after sewing, then cut them at 3.5 inches.The other question would be do you aside from the binding, do you want a border or 2 on your quilt? I usually put a small inner border then a larger outer border on as well.

Some really good books are Quilts for Baby and More Quilts for Baby. I know our library has them, so you don't have to spend the cash if you end up not liking the book.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:17 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I don't know. Good Luck
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:56 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I wish I could quilt! Good Luck!
    jasesmommy0529

Answer by jasesmommy0529 at 1:57 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I started quilting a year ago, so I'm still new to this. If you aren't following a pattern, it can be whatever you want it to be.I get alot of info out of books, magazines and websites. if I were you I would Goggle Quilts.
    mom4jimbo

Answer by mom4jimbo at 5:34 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Come and join our group quilting moms it is a great group with loads of wonderful women and great advice.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 12:23 AM on Oct. 13, 2010