Books for an 8 year old

I was wondering what books your 8 year old daughters are reading. My daughter loves to read and has gone through all the Ramona Quimby, Bella Sara, and Diary of a Wimpy Kid books. Are there any other good series for this age group? She seems to enjoy books in a series more than just lone books. I think for Christmas we are going to get her classics like Charolette's Web, Where the Red Fern Grows, Shilo...books like that.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Born2BAMommy5

Asked by Born2BAMommy5 at 7:51 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• be vintage and rock the babysitters club books!
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:51 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• There is a new series out, I think it's called Diary of a Dork- kinda like the whimpy kid but for girls. My 8 year old really likes goosebumps and choose your own adventure books.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 7:53 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Your daughter might also enjoy the Magic Tree House books.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:55 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Ooh! I forgot about the Babysitters Club! Do they still print them or am I going to have to bug my mom to find them in her attic? (I had all of them! Oh, and Sweet Valley High!)

They were good books!

Thanks for the ideas!
    Born2BAMommy5

Comment by Born2BAMommy5 (original poster) at 7:56 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• The Babysitters Cub, Chronicles of Narnia, Harry Potter, Mark Twain and Huck Fin.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 7:56 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I was thinking about Goosebumps, but she's very sensitive, so I don't know if they would be good for her. I can just imagine the nightmares they would give her!
    Born2BAMommy5

Comment by Born2BAMommy5 (original poster) at 7:57 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Capt. Underpants books are a funny favorite here. Then there's the Magic Treehouse series. I think the Redfern book you mentioned is sad, so if she is sensitive, that might not be the book for her.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:08 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Check the library for babysitters club and sweet valley twins. I saw them not too long ago and was almost tempted to pick them up!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 8:49 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Oh that's right....the dog dies in the end of Where the Red Fern Grows. Yeah, probably not a good choice. Good call!!!
    Born2BAMommy5

Comment by Born2BAMommy5 (original poster) at 8:52 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• ask your local librarian
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 12:58 AM on Oct. 12, 2010