How can I get my SD to stop "guessing" when she does her homework?

Every night that she has homework it takes about a half hour to an hour to do about 5 questions. She's a a smart girl and I know she knows the answers but she just sits there and guesses. She know's she's not trying. I've tried using things as props to help her with the questions. I've tried rewards after the homework is done. Nothing seems to work.

KimberlyMKasten

Asked by KimberlyMKasten at 7:54 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in

• Is she dumbing herself down to impress a boy or a wrong group of friends? If that is not the case, then keep encouraging her and tell her you know she is smart and can do this "easy-peasy" work. :) Keep boosting her self esteem, since she is doubting herself.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:01 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• well since you tried the positive reinforcements already tell her if she doesn't work out the problems and stop guessing she doesn't get tv, play ect time and is sorta kinda grounded for the rest of the day.
    iluvmymomasboys

Answer by iluvmymomasboys at 8:03 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I am having the same problem with my 6y/o!!
    willkanmom

Answer by willkanmom at 8:18 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Let her do her homework herself. Do NOT sit with her, do not help her. She could be guessing to get it over with and have you not sitting there helping her. Just a thought. Or, let her guess and deal with the natural consequences of guessing on her homework.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:06 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• make her explain her thought processes as to why she gave that answer. it's a more delicate situation with a step child, I'm VERY hard on my son about this. he's bright too and I don't let him get away with anything, I insist he do his best work.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 11:17 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• We've tried taking away fun things. She knows she's not trying. She doesn't want to try. Some days she does fine with only a couple guesses. Nothing seems to work. Her dad sits with her some nights and it doesn't make a difference who helps her. She does all the work herself. One of us has to sit with her because most of the words on the worksheet she can't read yet. She'll say a guess that she knows is not correct and I'll ask her why she said that answer and I get I don't know I guessed. Sometimes when she has a Friday off she will go to her grandparents. She only does the guessing thing with us. No one else has that problem. She does it in school but mostly on paper.
    KimberlyMKasten

Comment by KimberlyMKasten (original poster) at 12:36 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• tyfry7496

I would love to just let her do it on her own and just guess all she wants but for some odd reason her teacher doesn't seem to care she guesses a lot. She brings home things that she's done in school with more guesses than right answers. The teacher just put a check mark instead of a star. Nothing seems to come of it. She goes to a college prep school. It's supposed to be the best school in the area but it doesn't seem like she getting any better.
    KimberlyMKasten

Comment by KimberlyMKasten (original poster) at 5:53 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• First I would go have a talk with my childs teacher(s). Then I would get a list of what her womework is or would be- Then when my child comes home. I would sit her/him at the dinner rable with schoolbooks only and a pencil. I would also have a timer or clock near by. Teachers don't usually give any homework that takes more than one hour to do, If there's five questions then give hre/him three to five minutes to answer. and after that 3 or 5 minutes is up make her/him go on to the next one. If she/he doesn't get it done- let them see what the teacher has to say about the next day in school when she /he turns their paper in and it's not finished. or you could just do what my parents did and just bust my butt, and let me pay the for the choices that I made -with my teacher the next day.
    Good luck.
    Irontontiger

Answer by Irontontiger at 12:43 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• So far we've only had math homework. I don't understand how there are so many subject in school but she only gets one kind of homework. She's got the same routine everyday when she comes home. She knows it doesn't change. She comes home changes out of her school clothes, picks up her room and then homework time. She does only get the paper and the pencil. Sometimes there are little props that she needs to do her homework with....coins and dominoes and such. We have a conference set up for next month because that's when they. Last year when she was in kindergarten all it ever seemed like they did was play and color. I hardly ever saw anything that was educational or anything but fun. My SD is not really one of the kids that learn by having fun. She has no attention span. I know she is smart but I wonder if this school is worth the trouble it took to move closer to it.
    KimberlyMKasten

Comment by KimberlyMKasten (original poster) at 2:38 PM on Oct. 17, 2010