Homeschooling is Weird

Why are people bothered that others choose to Home School their children? Every study that I have ever read indicates that it is so beneficial to the child....and yet, public and media consensus is that it is "weird." As long as your child is loved, cared for and educated, I really don't care about the specifics of how a parent chooses to raise her children. I am not seeking public approval here, just looking to hear why so many are opposed...my guess is that it is not the "norm" and that, to most, is intolerable.

Zanjea

Asked by Zanjea at 7:59 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• I absolutely agree. There are many groups that still gather for socializing and field trips and support too. The children are not missing out on anything and are well rounded. I homeschooled my youngest and he is a pretty cool guy.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 8:03 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I have three nephews that were homeschooled. Maybe they just did it badly. All three are just socially weird kids. They are out of place. They freak out if a girl walks near them in shorts..just weird.
    Anonymous

• You pretty much nailed it. It's not the "norm". I think there is a stigma that homeschooled kids are backward, unsocalized, probably dress like menonites, and possibly belong to a cult. Really. I think that so often when people come across homeschooled kids that are perfectly normal and well adjusted, they dont even realize that they are homeschooled. Complete lack of exposure.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 8:08 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• a lot of people in the past that home schooled were really strict about who their kids will be around as if they don't want them to be part of the 'real world'. I think it's assumed that everyone was like that.
    that used to seem to be the norm, but it's changed a lot.
    of course not everyone was like that even then.
    I know people that home school their kids, but have them involved in all kids of activities.

people probably assume that those that home school are just doing so to make sure their kids are only exposed to what they want the to be exposed to.
    which of course we all know is nearly impossible no matter what.

people form whatever opinions they will form. not much to do about it.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 8:09 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I have three nephews that were homeschooled. Maybe they just did it badly. All three are just socially weird kids. They are out of place. They freak out if a girl walks near them in shorts..just weird. "

I've experienced the same thing with the home-schooled kids I've known. I know not all home-schooled kids are like that, but maybe it's the ones that are socially awkward that give some people the idea that it's "weird". I think it depends on whether or not the parents make sure the kids get social interaction. I've known some kids whose parents didn't, and they were really awkward when around other kids.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:20 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I was homeschooled. First hand knowledge of the practice makes me excessively leery of those who make the leap to do so.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:23 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Thanks ladies, these are all really great commenys. I can't wait to hear more!
    Zanjea

Comment by Zanjea (original poster) at 8:24 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• We homeschool and our kids are not any more weird than other kids their age. Let's be honest, there are plenty of awkward kids in the public school system and if you ask them they would probably rather be anywhere than there. Perhaps some of the awkward homeschoolers are just awkward people. Yes, there are parents who just want to run every aspect of their kids' lives, but in the majority of homeschool families I know, the reason for homeschooling (and this is our reason too) is to give their children something more than the mediocrity offered by the public school system. That something more might be religious education, specialized learning or in our case just an all around better education.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:50 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Im so tired of hearing the "they are socially awkward" bull..
    .. I went to public school & guess what... There where socially awkward kids there!!

Maybe some parents realize their kid is "socially awkward" & want to keep them from possible bullying because of their natural difference... maybe their "odd" kid is very smart but lacks the social skill (it happens that alot of smart people just dont have the social gene).. and they know that homeschooling will help their kid!!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 8:51 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I'm just laughing at your title. You had me at WEIRD. My son is in preschool now and has settled comfortably into a Montessori setting at this current time and has been there going on three years now. His current school goes to the end of ninth grade. We plan on placing him in a local Montessori public school either next year or the year after depending on his needs. But I have thought about under what conditions I might home school. I would home school if my child was experiencing emotional difficulties in school due to learning differences the school was unable to meet. I would home school if my child was being harassed or bullied. I would home school if his school placement, for whatever reason, was seriously not a good match. I don't see any of these as being weird. I do see home schooling as a valid option for parents who are concerned or frustrated with the limited options available.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:57 PM on Oct. 11, 2010