LO and a dog

How do I teach my dog that she's not allowed to play rough and run around or chase my son in the house, even though he encourages her? She gets so worked up that if I go to scold her she thinks I'm playing too and just goes even crazier....

What do I do to break her of this?

I think she sees my son as a pupmate or something, but I need her to understand that just because he runs or comes into the room from another doesn't mean she can chase him or that its okay to instigate - like I took him to the bathroom and we came out and she ran up to him and lunged at his feet trying to play with him....

Other than that she's as sweet and as submissive as can be - he can climb all over her and she just takes it, she'll lay and cuddle with us, she doesn't act up at all and listens to us no matter what we say.... Other than that.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:31 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Pets

• Question? How much time does she get out to run off her energy? Maybe if you have a set time to give her attention. I know this sounds strange, but they have needs too. They have a lot of energy. One of the best things is maybe finding a place she can run. Does she have play toys to play with? If she has toys, she's less apt to use your son's feet. One of my dogs loves plastic toys. The other likes a fuzzy whilte rabbit. I found these toys at the thrift store for 10 cents. Also, making a time to play with her. Train her to fetch a toy. Or to roll over. Something fun for both of you. One of my dogs love to chase the ball. The other wants to sit in my lap and have me scratch her back side where she can't reach. When she's satisifed, she goes and lays down. Another thing you can do is use treats to reward her when she stops and sits. Once its a habit, you won't need the treats anymore. Hope this helps.
    Prayerpartner

Answer by Prayerpartner at 9:19 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Well I think you need to find a way to crate you dog. Have you crate training.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 8:37 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I agree with the crate training suggestion. When your dog gets too aggressive, she is immediately put in the crate. You might also call Petsmart or a vet for advice. Petsmart has training classes and I'm sure they have helped families deal with this before.
    CAMKsMom

Answer by CAMKsMom at 8:41 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• How old is your LO? You say that he tries to get her to do it.. so why not teach HIM not to do it?

Crate training will work as well... but it's not used as a punishment place. A crate is a safe place for your dog. It shouldn't be a place they associate with being bad.

HeatherReneeB

Answer by HeatherReneeB at 9:51 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I'll add that when she gets like that, running around and trying to play, I can't even try to get near her or she thinks I'm playing, too, so trying to grab her doesn't work unless I want to chase her, which isn't a good idea since it only encourages the behavior....
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:32 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I'll have to do that, I guess. She has a crate that she sleeps in, I used to put her in it if she was in the way or acting out, I should probably start again...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:45 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• He's almost three. He does instigate sometimes, and I get onto him, but other times, like last night, it was all her. We went into the bathroom, came out, and she was going nuts running and jumping and trying to play, and he just kept holding my hand and trying to ignore her. Or there are times when he can just walk across the room or stand up and she'll run after him and start jumping all around him and play nipping at him. Or if we're trying to play physically she goes nuts wanting to join in, even if we're just crawling on the ground pretending to be animals or something.

Again, its not all the time, most of the time she's such a calm, submissive, obedient sweetheart. We have no other issues with her - she even knows when the light in the living room is turned off at night that its time to go to bed and she'll run right into her crate. So its just this one issue...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:06 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I think that may be part of it. She's got plenty of toys, though, lol. I guess that's the problem - we cuddle her and meet all of her other needs, but she probably doesn't get enough of her energy out in play or exercise. She hasn't been able to go out for very long the last couple of days because where we tie her up (we're in the city limits, we have to, because she won't stay in the yard if we don't and there are leash laws) needs to be fixed. So that's probably what her problem has been. I'm sure once we get it set back up and she can go out for a little while every day (especially if it stays warm enough for us to go out and play with her), she'll calm back down. She sure does love to run - when our lease is up I'd love to find a place that has a bigger yard for her. The one we have now is adequate, but its not as big as I'd like...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:04 PM on Oct. 12, 2010