Do you think its wrong....??

Do you think its wrong to leave my kids while they're sleeping for a brisk walk around the block for exercise every morning? We're talking like 20 minutes max.

I haven't done it yet but I REALLY need the exercise and everything being as it is, this is my only opportunity to get it done.

Your opinions are appreciated.

P.S. My two boys are 3 and 1

kmingledorff

Asked by kmingledorff at 11:53 PM on Oct. 26, 2008 in Health

• NEVER leave children alone in the house unattended! this is ILLEGAL. get a stroller and take them with you!
    Anonymous

• is someone at home with them like in another room you can exercise in ure home without leaving the children unnattended they could wake within those 20min you just never kno
    juliansmommie23

Answer by juliansmommie23 at 11:55 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I wouldn't... One time I left my daughter, age 1 1/2 in the third floor apartment sleeping while I ran down to the basement to do laundry.. When I got the second flight of steps I could hear her crying.. she had woke up while I was down there and she was scared to death...
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 11:58 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I wouldn't leave them in the house alone....take them in a jogging stroller with you, maybe they'll fall asleep on the ride. Or invest in a treadmill or something that you can exercise in the house while they sleep...
    Pollymom

Answer by Pollymom at 11:59 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• As a Mom that has had a house fire... I say no. Unless an adult is in the house -- you never know what can happen. We had a freak fire started by our dishwasher of all things. It only takes 5 minutes for something tragic to happen. Do you live with some one? Could you walk when they are home? (early morning before they go to work, late night after dinner?) They have those double jogger strollers - pushing the kids would be great extra exercise! Also... a single membership for the YMCA is pretty cheap if you just pick your local Y -- all of the Y's in this area have daycare included. You could take a class, walk on the treadmill, etc. :)
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 12:01 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I have a hard time leaving my 7 year old and my baby when I run the trash out or check the mail. I could never do it, but I am a bit overproctive or so I have heard. I really wouldn't be comfortable with it. Perhaps you could just take the kids outside with you and run around with them? Then you guys all get some excercise. Is there somewhere you can go that is fenced, like your yard or something, so you guys can just go run wild and you won't have to worry about one of them running off?
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 12:23 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Yes, it IS wrong. There are just too many things that can go wrong in such a short time, and if anyone knew you did that they could call CPS on you. As others have mentioned, there are plenty of ways to get exercise without leaving them alone. Take them with you, have someone else watch them, trade walking time with another mom, get a Y or gym membership, pay for a babysitter for an hour, do an in home walking video, get a treadmill (if you don't have money for it, try a freecycle list), walk at the mall...there HAS to be a way you can get a little exercise without putting your kids at risk.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 12:33 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• 20 minutes is waaaaaay too long for that age...
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 12:54 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I would NEVER leave my children alone in the house, even for a minute! There too many possibilities of something horrible happening. I'm not trying to judge you but I can't believe you are even condsidering it. Get a double stroller....I know they are expensive so try to get one second hand on craigslist or something
    MiiSSHiiSCAMP0S

Answer by MiiSSHiiSCAMP0S at 1:04 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Try walk off the pounds by Leslie Salmone ?? I forget the spelling. Anyway , no don't leave them TOO YOUNG.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:25 AM on Oct. 27, 2008