How do you get a 14 month old off of the bottle and onto a cup when they want nothing to do with it?

Kim H.

Asked by Kim H. at 8:44 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My best friend used a cup that had a straw attached for her daughter.
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 8:48 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Get rid of all the bottles, no options...all the better.
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 8:56 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• just go cold turkey. throw them away or put them up where you can not get to them easily so that you don't give in and when they get thirsty enough they will drink. put their fav type of drink into the cup. maybe start with a sippy cup. praise he/she whenever they even notice a cup or when they try to drink out of one. if they get your attention they are more likely to do whatever it was again.
    iluvmymomasboys

Answer by iluvmymomasboys at 8:57 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I agree with gettting a cup with a straw. It makes my daughter feel like such a big girl. I also agree with just getting rid of the bottles. If she is physically capable but unwilling to use a cup she'll get used to it.
    sandrizzle

Answer by sandrizzle at 11:33 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Cups with straws have worked well for my kids. However, I also don't force my kids off of the bottle and let them choose when to be done with it.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:50 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Get some of the sippy cups with the soft silicone spouts and throw all the bottles away. If your child wants something to drink bad enough, he/she will drink out of the cup.
    HaydensMama07

Answer by HaydensMama07 at 5:59 PM on Oct. 12, 2010