ANyone ever build a Pinewood derby car for Boy scouts? Or do you carve wood?

I got this kit for my son. I looked up videos on You tube. There were plenty of cool cars. All made using power tools. Does any one know if we can carve this thing by hand, and with what??? I figure I'll do the cutting and chiseling, my son can sand and paint. Thanks.

chicanueva

Asked by chicanueva at 8:44 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• yes we did it for cub scouts ,, it was fun. however our car was pretty much formed so there was not alot of tools needed
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 10:07 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I'm not sure if you could carve by hand. Each year our pack gets together to use some power tools to shape their cars into what they want. It's really neat some of the things they come up with!
    mochamomof3

Answer by mochamomof3 at 10:33 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• There's a kit that comes with the saw, etc. for the car. My husband actually found a car that was already carved and we just used that.
    dmelyoung

Answer by dmelyoung at 8:14 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Check out the PinewoodDerbyDen.Com web site, They have a lot of helpfly tips & links.
    PinewoodDerbyDe

Answer by PinewoodDerbyDe at 9:17 PM on Oct. 12, 2010