I was born & raised Catholic. I am now divorced & in a relationship with Jewish man whom I plan to marry. We would like to celebrate some Jewish holidays with my daughter (who goes to a Catholic nursery school) but I'm not sure how to go about this. Any thoughts??

ElsasMommy

Asked by ElsasMommy at 8:50 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• just tell her that you are sharing his holidays, that jews have different holidays and do certain things differently.
    the world is full of different people and different religions.
    it doesn't have to be a major deal, I imagine she'll enjoy it.
    you don't have to get into the whole different beliefs things unless she asks.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 8:54 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• We have two different religions (and thus different holidays) in this house too. Because of that we each tend to "run" the celebration for our own holidays with the kids. When it's time for the Christian Holidays my DH is in charge of the festivities, because that's his beliefs and his holidays (although I of course participate) and when it comes time for my Holidays I do my thing with the kids... I would say try something like that - let your SO take over when it comes to the Jewish holidays and you run the show for the Christian ones. And when there are similar traditions or days try to find middle roads.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:01 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• sounds like my relashonship i married a catholic man im jewish we celebrate both
    Tryingforbaby1

Answer by Tryingforbaby1 at 9:01 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I agree with the first post. My second cousin is Catholic and married a Jewish man and they actually celebrate both :)
    JuJubean1979

Answer by JuJubean1979 at 9:09 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• My friend is Lutheran and married a Jewish man. They celebrate both holidays and talk about both faiths.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:31 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Your holidays will be super. Just celebrate both and have fun with it.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 10:18 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I actually know two families who do this. They celebrate both. They talk about both faiths, and the kids go to Catholic school. Two of the older children in one family have decided to study more of their Jewish heritage now, and the other hasn't made a decision yet. In the other family I know, both kids tend to celebrate both in a sort of blended way. But the parents in both families have always just taught everything they could about both religions and then left the rest up to the kids and to God.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:36 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Split the difference?
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:05 PM on Oct. 12, 2010