Friendships during pregnancy

If you were/are the only one pregnant out of your friends, did the friendship dynamic change at all?

SkylaDarling

Asked by SkylaDarling at 8:57 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Relationships

• When I was pregnant I was the first of my friends to make that step. Things changed a bit because I wasn't going out with them as much and my priorities changed, but we're all old ladies so it's not like they were clubbing it up every chance they got. The biggest thing was that I live kind of far from them all and it got a whole lot more inconvenient to travel to them (especially after our son was born). In general though, I love my friends and our friendships all stayed very well intact.

I had one friend in particular who came to see me every chance she got, no matter how far I lived. She was really great about it. Now she's the one who is pregnant so I have to make sure I return her kindness!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:02 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Yeah it totally changed my friendships. I was a party girl and only had party friends, now that i have a kid I don't see those friends very often or even talk to them that much. I now have friends who have kids which helps a lot.
    writergrl0817

Answer by writergrl0817 at 4:50 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• It changed with my first cause we were still in High School so they were hanging out and doing things I couldn't. I did have a pregnant friend I hung out with a lot.
    mamakrysoftwo

Answer by mamakrysoftwo at 9:12 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Out of my closest friends(group of 3) I got pregnant first. My closest two friends was my cousin and a bff of over 8 years. When I started showing, they quit calling me to hang out or even to come over. I didnt hear from either one unless they needed something or wanted to vent to me about the other. I didnt really talk to them up until I had my son, then they wanted something to do with me. Then my bff got pregnant and my cousin did the same to her that was done to me. My cousin doesnt have any children, but she and I are close as ever, but she and my bff is no longer speeking. Things happens and people change, but when you become a mommy, your life is not about you, it becomes about your child (my opinion) My friends can either understand or not. My son comes FIRST
    HUNTERBUNTER

Answer by HUNTERBUNTER at 9:19 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Not really. Then again, a couple of them were mothers of older kids (teens, elementary school).
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 11:37 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• only because i was 18
    JeffsBaby1

Answer by JeffsBaby1 at 2:20 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• When my son was born, my best friend has just gotten married. She spent a lot of time with me because DH was deployed with the Marine Corps. When he returned, she was pregnant and we spent time together with our sons. I have had friends who were still single and partying. We are still friends but don't hang out very much.
    keeckhardt

Answer by keeckhardt at 2:24 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• a little bit just because none of my friends have kids yet and they are all pretty young and want to go out and do stuff that I just can't do anymore. But I know that at the end of the day my true friends will always be here for me :)
    Baby.Fremd7

Answer by Baby.Fremd7 at 3:54 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• NO IT DID NOT CHANGE I WAS NOT PREGNANT IN HIGH SCHOOL A WHOLE DIFFERENT SET OF FRIENDS
    YUMMYNANA25152

Answer by YUMMYNANA25152 at 6:03 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Yes, especially with my first because I was so young. My friends and I were all in HS (Juniors & Seniors). My son is now a Junior in HS and only one of my 4 BF have had a baby - her son is now 3 months old. Significant age difference you can see! I fell out of touch with all but one of my childhood/HS BFs and really don't have many friends that have kids. I'm trying to make some now that my daughter is in 1st grade (and have since she was born) but still don't have any really close friends except two. It can be very lonely at times. Still, I wouldn't trade my kids for anything. I've always wanted children and lots of them and am grateful for the two I have .... and miss the ones that were never born :-(
    chrisnmandysmom

Answer by chrisnmandysmom at 10:45 PM on Oct. 12, 2010