Starting to wean and need help PLEASEEE

I have been BF for 3 months and am ready to stop. I got some formula today he doesnt like it all. What should I do? I need to stop BF for multiple reasons so I need some help...?

motherofpearl3

Asked by motherofpearl3 at 9:03 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm not sure what to tell you about how to switch as I have never done it. But have you tasted the difference between breastmilk and formula?? Try them both and you will see why he won' drink the formula. blech!!
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 9:11 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• i had to wean my son and put him on formula i just started feeding him fewer times a day or feeding him a little from the breast just enough to relieve you of the pain and so that he will not starve then gave him the bottle. if you can pump and give him breast milk in the bottle maybe he isn't used to the bottle. and if you can not pump enough then mix formula and breastmilk. and once you have weaned him and if you have problems with getting the milk to dry up (i have never had this problem) i have had friends and sis in law put cabage in their bra for a couple of hours a day. i have no clue why that helps but they said it did. i hope that helps.
    iluvmymomasboys

Answer by iluvmymomasboys at 9:19 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• If you must wean, a good way to do it is to replace one nursing session per week with formula. Keep in mind that this is gradual, and will probably take a bit longer when the baby refuses the formula, but if you are patient, it's a good approach.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:20 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• What is BLECH SONIA?
    motherofpearl3

Comment by motherofpearl3 (original poster) at 9:27 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• "blech" (bleck)- like an icky noise. like "ewww" LOL
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 9:45 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• It would help if you explained what your reasons for weaning this early are. A lot of problems and perceived problems can be easily fixed. And you've already made it past the hardest weeks of learning. Join the breastfeeding moms group on cafemom before you make a final decision. A lot of women who think they want to wean and then go ahead regret doing so and then try hard to relactate. So you want to be sure you've explored all avenues and have the correct information. And some babies just do not tolerate formula well
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:08 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• o yea he might not like the type of formula try diff. kinds my daughter used to puke projectile almost like an exersist baby but when i put her on sensitive she did great.
    iluvmymomasboys

Answer by iluvmymomasboys at 11:12 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Yea, I can't help with forcing a baby to drink formula (like PP, have you tasted that stuff?!). But, I CAN help with any issues that you feel may be fixed by weaning. Usually, weaning won't change anything, just give you one less tool to use. Sometimes just knowing that what you're experiencing is normal can help.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:24 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• There are a lot of reasons your baby may reject formula. It tastes horrible, it doesn't smell or taste like mommy, she doesn't get the closeness and comfort she gets with nursing, her stomach isn't designed to take formula...
    Can you tell us why you're weaning so soon? The AAP recommends nursing for at least 1 year, and WHO recommends at least 2 years.
    Formula is really hard on a baby's tummy, which has been designed specifically for accepting breastmilk. When was the last time breastmilk was recalled??
    Many women regret formula feeding later, but few regret breastfeeding.
    That said, if your decision is made and nothing anyone says will change it, eliminate one BF feeding a week, replacing it with formula, and go from there.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 9:24 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I started with small amounts mixed in breast milk. I think I did 75% BM 25% formula and worked my way down till eventually it was all formula. So drop the nursing and give this bottle at the normal time you would be nursing. I dropped a nursing and switched to bottle every 4 days I think. I dropped the night time one last. She did great. The worst part I think was the swollen breasts. It took several weeks for that to go away. Experiment with different formulas too. I started with the soy and my daughter hated it. She ended up liking the Enfamil gentlease. Good luck. Let me know if you have more questions.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 3:30 PM on Oct. 12, 2010