What asthma controllers are your little ones on?

My son is on pulmicort through a nebulizer. I want to switch him to an inhaler though. We have an appointment with his doctor next week to discuss it, but I want to get some opinions first. He's only on a controller when his allergies are bad or if he's sick.

Is the controller that your little ones are one expensive? What are the side effects in your child?

I'm also thinking about getting an albuterol inhaler so we can take it with us. How did your little one adjust to inhalers after having only a nebulizer?

corbysmom531

Asked by corbysmom531 at 9:09 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My daughter is 3 and still uses a nebulizer, (pulmicort and albuterol) only when things flare up now,.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 9:11 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I forgot to mention how old he is. He's three.
    corbysmom531

Comment by corbysmom531 (original poster) at 9:21 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• My grandson is 6. He uses his inhaler twice a day (Flo-Vent), he also takes zyrtec and Singulair every night. Since we began this combo we've had very few flare ups..and he hasn't been hospitalized once. He has a nebulaizer (albuterol) to use if we hear wheezing, or nighttime coughing. Only had to do nebs about 4 times in the last 6 months..No ER, No inpatient in the same 6 months. When he was 3 there was nothing that kept him in control...and doing an inhaler was a joke, at least for us.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:28 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• My son's doctor offered us the inhaler combo with a mask and everything when he was 18 months old, when his asthma first got diagnosed. But he was scared to death of the mask. Now he's not scared anymore, so an inhaler I think would work now. He understands a lot more.

My son is on allergy meds too, but he reacted badly to singulair, so I won't put him on that anymore.
    corbysmom531

Comment by corbysmom531 (original poster) at 9:40 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Thanks for your answers!
    corbysmom531

• sorry, i know you didn't ask, but i really want to share this!
    i know someone that quit eating red meat and never used her inhaler again
    i know of someone that went from regular household cleaners to vinegar and baking soda, and lost his asthma symptoms.
    i also read of breathing exercises (not unlike yoga breathing) that nearly eliminates the use of inhalers.
    i wish you and your little one the best of health!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:00 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I already do what you suggested happy2bmom25, except for the yoga breathing thing. I can barely expect my son to sit still in the middle of an asthma attack, let alone ask him to breathe a certain way. :)
    corbysmom531

Comment by corbysmom531 (original poster) at 10:06 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• no, the breathing is an exercise to strengthen the system, it is more of a prevention. it is not supposed to be for stopping an attack. honestly, i dont really know if a 3 yo could do it, but it would still be worth looking into.
    i am sorry for what you are going through.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:29 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Oh I know it's more for preventative. My point was that in the middle of an asthma attack, I can't slow him down. So on a normal day I won't be able to slow him down enough to do it. That's what I meant. :)
    corbysmom531

Comment by corbysmom531 (original poster) at 10:42 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• My DS doesn't have asthma but he gets nebulizer treatments every day once it starts getting cold because he has some other respiratory issues (doctors can't figure out what).
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 10:54 AM on Oct. 12, 2010