What to send for Christmas?

My oldest son (22) and his wife will not be coming home for Christmas. His wife just found a job and can't get the time off. They have a small apartment and just furnished it and bought everything they need. My daughter in law really does not want me in their lives, so I don't know what to do for them for Christmas. This will be the first Christmas, ever, that he has not been home. Should I just send them some money? They really don't need it.

Bagofwind

Asked by Bagofwind at 9:11 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• If you don't want to send cash, why not gift cards for dinner and a movie or something? Or you could purchase them something they can do together, or even a keepsake item to commemorate their first Christmas together... It's hard to really give you ideas without knowing them and what they would like, but I know for me and my DH, we would always welcome a chance to do something as a couple that doesn't take much work (lol) like dinner or even a trip to the theater...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:15 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Send them a beautiful ornanent for their Christmas tree to remember you by.

Answer by older at 9:15 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• *ornament!

Answer by older at 9:16 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Do a separate gift card for each of them (I'm thinking a sporting goods store for him if he's into sports, and Bath and Body works for her - I don't know who doesn't like B&B) and then a card together like someone else said, for dinner or a movie.
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 9:20 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Be wary of the ornament idea if the DIL already has an attitude about you. I know from experience it can cause issues later. Gift cards for Movies, or a restaurant you know they like is a great idea. My youngest and his wife have a home so we send them Lowes gift cards..lol...there is ALWAYS something they need it for.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:22 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• send them special gifts from your heart that you will think it will touch their hearts..you will always be the one to decide what to give...
    neng999

Answer by neng999 at 5:30 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Send them a wreath and a few ornaments and a few gift cards.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 2:15 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• gift card
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 8:17 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I would send them gifts and not worry....sometimes it takes time to build relationships with daughters-in-law and sons-in-law...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 9:20 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Or ask where they like to shop online and create a wishlist. Many etailers offer that kind of service. Ask to see their wishlist and purchase something you know they would use and enjoy.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:41 AM on Oct. 20, 2010