Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 Bumps

What to send for Christmas?

My oldest son (22) and his wife will not be coming home for Christmas. His wife just found a job and can't get the time off. They have a small apartment and just furnished it and bought everything they need. My daughter in law really does not want me in their lives, so I don't know what to do for them for Christmas. This will be the first Christmas, ever, that he has not been home. Should I just send them some money? They really don't need it.

Answer Question

Asked by Bagofwind at 9:11 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

Level 12 (882 Credits)
Answers (13)
  • If you don't want to send cash, why not gift cards for dinner and a movie or something? Or you could purchase them something they can do together, or even a keepsake item to commemorate their first Christmas together... It's hard to really give you ideas without knowing them and what they would like, but I know for me and my DH, we would always welcome a chance to do something as a couple that doesn't take much work (lol) like dinner or even a trip to the theater...

    Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:15 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

  • Send them a beautiful ornanent for their Christmas tree to remember you by.

    Answer by older at 9:15 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

  • *ornament!

    Answer by older at 9:16 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

  • Do a separate gift card for each of them (I'm thinking a sporting goods store for him if he's into sports, and Bath and Body works for her - I don't know who doesn't like B&B) and then a card together like someone else said, for dinner or a movie.

    Answer by LostTheSlipper at 9:20 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

  • Be wary of the ornament idea if the DIL already has an attitude about you. I know from experience it can cause issues later. Gift cards for Movies, or a restaurant you know they like is a great idea. My youngest and his wife have a home so we send them Lowes gift is ALWAYS something they need it for.

    Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:22 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

  • send them special gifts from your heart that you will think it will touch their will always be the one to decide what to give...

    Answer by neng999 at 5:30 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

  • Send them a wreath and a few ornaments and a few gift cards.

    Answer by mmmegan38 at 2:15 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

  • gift card

    Answer by mekarevell at 8:17 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

  • I would send them gifts and not worry....sometimes it takes time to build relationships with daughters-in-law and sons-in-law...

    Answer by Anna92464 at 9:20 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

  • Or ask where they like to shop online and create a wishlist. Many etailers offer that kind of service. Ask to see their wishlist and purchase something you know they would use and enjoy.

    Answer by tasches at 2:41 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.