New Home... New Daddy

My 2 yr. old son and I just moved into my boyfriends house with him last weekend. My son likes my boyfriend and my boyfriend is great with him (with both the loving and the discipline) but he's acting very emotional lately and is very clingy to me. I realize that between his age and all of the major changes going on, he's going to act out... but I am having difficulty figuring out what he needs from me and what he wants. I don't want to encourage some of this behavior (him breaking down every time I take a step away) but I don't want him to feel as though I'm not "there for him". If there's anyone who has been through something similar, please let me know if this is just something that will pass or how I should deal with it. Thank you.

Colesmama11

Asked by Colesmama11 at 12:03 AM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What age is he? My daughter was always very clingy, but she became OBSESSIVELY clingy, like yours, around 18 mo. to 2 years. I'd say when she hit 26 months, she started to finally feel more comfortable in her own skin. It was as if I was an extension of her...I could not leave her sight...ever. Now she's 30 months and has released her hold. She will go play without me a lot now...which is a wonderful change.

I'd say it is simply a phase and will pass. When large things happen, new daddy and new house, it will take him MUCH longer to bounce back. If you are consistant with positive attention and allow him to be a toddler and not a little adult...you'll breeze right through this hiccup. I had to really loosen my need to control her behavior and learn to appreciate simply spending time with her. So...follow your instincts and pray for patience. :)
    Haleygrrl

Answer by Haleygrrl at 12:11 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Right around 18 months, many toddlers experience separation anxiety. So I am sure a fair bit of it could be that. Give him about 5-10 minutes and see if he will calm himself before you go to him. Always tell him where you are going and that you will be back soon before you leave the room he is in. Communication goes a long way with children. Let him know constantly that you are there, encourage your BF to interact with him without you around in the new house. Good luck.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 12:38 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• IN addition to his age clingyness, he also just experienced a big move. Thats hard on a little guy his age. It seems like hes afraid youre going to leave him. Just reassure him that youre there and get into a solid routine if you don't already have one. That way he knows what to expect. This should pass as he gets more comfortable with his surroundings.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:11 AM on Oct. 27, 2008