Smells and Memories

Are there any smells that cause memories to come flooding back to you? My mom always washed dishes using Palmolive Original diswashing liquid, and the smell now makes me cry (my mom died a few years ago)...

Anna92464

Asked by Anna92464 at 9:32 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Crayola Crayons...reminds me of Kindergarten and I am 39!!

There is a smell that I can't describe but people who grew up in my city know what I am talking about when I say, "Tenuta's" has it's own smell and only those who grew up going there know what I am talking about. It kind of smells like fresh cut cigars, popcorn, old wood floors, Italian meats and fresh made Italian sauces and foods being made.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:36 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Old Spice, I was a daddy's girl through and through my daddy died in 89 but the smell of Old spice breaks me down even now.
    gratefulangel77

Answer by gratefulangel77 at 9:34 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• There is the smell of a certain bubble bath I used when I was little that I can't find but have smelled before. It brings back good memories from childhood. The smell of a certain dishsoap also brings back memories of my mother (passed away earlier this year), the smell of a scented hand sanitizer brings back memories of high school, the smell of a certain body wash (the wash I used for my first shower after having my first baby) brings back wonderful memories of the first time I met my daughter, I could go on and on. They say that scent is the biggest memory-jogging sense in the human body.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 9:38 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Yes I used to wear a body spray called lovespell in middleschool when me and dh met. I used to steal his hat and drench it with the spray. I wear it sometimes now and we both swear we are 13 again and in a brand new love. He goes crazy and sniffs the air. It definately takes us back.
    burtangermom4

Answer by burtangermom4 at 9:39 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Doublemint gum reminds me of an old summer love. Old spice brings back memories of my Papaw. Whenever I smell fresh cut grass, I can close my eyes and be instantly transported to my grandparents' front porch on a hot summer day.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 9:47 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• A horse can make my heart flutter. I grew up on a farm and showed horses for 14 years. I loved just being at the barn. The smell of the horses, the hay, the shavings, and the tack room..............happy times.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:09 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• BLACK CHERRY pipe tabacco=======my grandfather that raised us as his own (my parents divorced when i was a baby) smoked pipes and used BLACK CHERRY pipe tabacco. He's been gone now since 1991 and when i smell it i just get happy. I used to cry a lot but i eventually dealt with better. Now it's a gr8 reminder of better days. Valentines day is harder for me because thats the day he passed away.
    CristieLee

Answer by CristieLee at 10:17 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Brute aftershave reminds of a lot of the guys I hung with in my teens. Emeraude and peach bubble bath reminds me of my mom and Old Spice reminds me of my dad! The smell of pot roast cooking reminds me of my grandma- she cooked everything well but somehow I always think of her when I smell pot roast! Alyssa Ashley musk reminds me of one of my best girlfriends because we liked so well we would ALWAYS stop at a cosmetics counter and spritz ourselves with the sample bottle!!!! Thanks for the memories!
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 11:38 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• When I was growing up,my mom kept a bottle of "Skin So Soft" that she would buy from Avon.She kept in the refrigerator.And my sister has some now.And when I smell Giorgio,I think of my mom.She died 18 years ago from lung cancer.She was only 52.
    bvannkissy

Answer by bvannkissy at 12:49 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Skin So Soft comes to my mind too - my mom sold AVON for years.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:38 PM on Oct. 12, 2010