Starter pets???

My son loves his fake fish tank so Hubby & I thought gettin ghim one for his 4th Birthday would be a really great gift. now I know that most of the responsibility of caring fo r the fish woul dbe on Hubby & I, but I wanted to know if that would be a good first starter pet or should we be looking for something else???

MsWood729

Asked by MsWood729 at 9:41 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Pets

• I like beta fish. They don't need anything but a bowl big enough for just them. No filters. They aren't that messy. And they eat like 9 pebbles a day. 3 for breakfast lunch and dinner. Not to mention they're beautiful. That's the kind of fish we got for my 2 and 3 yr old boys.
    reigndrops12689

Answer by reigndrops12689 at 9:46 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I think it would be a great starter pet. You can get one of those 3 to 5 gallon tanks, and either put a few tetras or a betta (unless you were wanting to go bigger)
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 9:47 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• A fish tank is a great starter. Look at gold fish or community fish such as mollies and platys. They aren't as picky about water and are pretty to look at. My husband has had fish since he was a young child. We've had everything from easy to keep gold fish to the more temperamental tropicals. My kids have all helped over the years with the care and keeping of our fish tanks.
    Good luck and don't go overboard. PetSmart is a great place to find starter kits for a decent price and after you've gotten it set up for a week or so, THEN add the fish.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:48 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• A TURTLE IS EASY REMEMBER ALL LITTLE FISH DIE AFTER A BIT UNLESS YOU WANT TO HAVE A MASS FOR FISHS PICK AN EASEY PET
    DIAMONDDEE021

Answer by DIAMONDDEE021 at 9:48 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• My son's first pet was two African Dwarf frogs. They come in a container with a snail, special rocks, and a piece of bamboo. You only have to change the water every 4-6 months because the snail eats all the algae.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:49 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Fish are a great starter pet. I disagree with the first poster - I think beta fish are boring. THey are pretty, but they don't swim around that much so they aren't fun to watch. Regular cheapie goldfish are a good choice. Go to a pet store and ask them what types of fish they recommend for a bowl/tank with no filter or heater. They will show you your options.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 9:49 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Beta for sure.. and if you get the right plant, you wouldn't even have to feed it ;) Plus they are beautiful.
    HeatherReneeB

Answer by HeatherReneeB at 9:49 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• i would say yes and tell him if he takes care of it including cleaning it ect and you can teach him how to do all of that then maybe you can get another pet. and let him know that if he doesnt take care of it he will have to give it to another person who will.
    iluvmymomasboys

Answer by iluvmymomasboys at 9:57 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• The betta is a great idea. If he does well, maybe a hamster. They're a bit more responsibilty but not too overwhelming. Plus they're fuzzy, cute, and very easy to catch if they get on the loose. Gerbils are impossible to round up.
    Anna-Chubaby

Answer by Anna-Chubaby at 1:21 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• We had betta fish for years. They are a good 'starter' for a child, because the care is pretty easy, and they are hardy fish (ours lived three and five years, respectively.) If he likes a fake fish tank, I'm sure a real fish will be even better.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 1:47 PM on Oct. 12, 2010