Even if you don't think you should honor Mary...

do you think it okay to insult her? (A lot of non-Catholics have said such insulting things about her to me because they insist I worship her).....How do you think Jesus feels about people insulting his mother?

Anna92464

Asked by Anna92464 at 9:45 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I'm a Protestant who knows the difference between Mary-ology and Mary-olotry. It's not right for Protestants to degrade Mary just because the Catholic Church hold her in such high esteem.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 11:21 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• i do not worship her but i acknowledge that she was Jesus' mother, but i never pray to her or anything... God told us not to worship any others Gods, and by praying to her and asking her for things...in my book that is worshiping....
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 9:50 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I'm generally bothered by the disrespect of ANY religious figure - simply because it disrespects those who hold it dear. You don't have to have a personal belief in something to understand that someone else does and to have respect for that and for them... I find it shameful that anyone would choose to disrespect others simply because they don't share their beliefs!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:23 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• no its not okay to disrespect any religious figure...even if you dont think that figure has an important role.

honestly, i think the hatred some Protestants show toward Mary is an over-reaction based on the love some Catholics show her...and the fact that some men dont want to give any kinda of higher level to a woman...even if she's the mother of Jesus. does she deserve worship or as equal to Jesus, no (IMO), but she deserves just as much respect as other Bible characters... definitely shouldnt speak ill of her. theres no reason for that, especially from a Christian.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:18 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• It is never ok to disrespect any religious figure. Unfortunately, as one poster has already demonstrated in this question, most people don't get the whole Mary thing when it comes to Catholicism. They think we pray to her and ask her for things. They claim to know the Bible, yet they don't recognize that "Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee, blessed art thou amongst women..." comes from the Bible.

Anyway, a lot of Christians seem to think that Mary didn't really do much. That any old woman would have sufficed, and that if Mary hadn't said yes, the God would've just found some other chick to give birth to his son. They do not understand the respect we have for the courage it took for her to set her fears aside and say yes.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:46 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Hey.. I stopped going to church during the whole gay marriage voting because I didn't like how the preacher interjected it into the serman like equal rights would lead to the end of civilized world. I found that insulting.

So if you want to stop going because the preacher is insulting Mary... more power to you. I grew up Catholic.... even though I am not Catholic now, the image and pray to Mary are calming for me.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 11:57 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• 'scuse the language but that preacher sounds like a real cockface. even pentecostal religion finds jesus to be quite important and mary was pretty important in getting jesus here... when i started learning about goddess religions i did read lots of things about the importance of mary actually being a way to carry a goddess figure into the patriarchal religions and her being somewhat controversial for that reason among others. if it were me i probably would have said something about god thinking she was important enough to put jesus in and entrusted her to carry him and care for him. i am pagan and my mom is atheist, but we both really enjoyed the book "our lady of the lost and found" which is all about mary... a novel as well as informational book.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 10:00 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• what in the world would they insult?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:57 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee. Jude 1:9
    MAKEMYDAY101

Answer by MAKEMYDAY101 at 10:12 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• i think the main question in my mind is what do you consider an insult? some people feel their faith and religious figures are insulted simply when someone expresses a different opinion... if it's not just that then the people are probably trying to be insulting and thus not really worth worrying about.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 10:53 PM on Oct. 11, 2010