Terrible Two's EARLY!!! ahhhh!

So my son is just now 21 months old and I swear he has hit the terrible two's early! Its driving me crazy! All I ever hear anymore is NO!, Mine, or tantrums b/c he didn't get his way. I am assuming this is all normal behavior for the terrible two's. What else should i be ready for to come? Anyone else's child hit the terrible two's early?

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 10:07 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is 19 months old and does the same things. He is getting to where you can't take him anywhere because he acts so wild in public.. Today he went to the health department for a check up and he ran all over the place and when i would try to pick him up he would scream as loud as he could and try to lay down on the floor. He also kicked a nurse in the head with his shoes on when they were laying him down and trying to measure him.
    I think he is also in the terrible two's early. I hope someone gives you some good advice because I could use some as well.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 10:16 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• check food labels
    make sure he has no LAKE dyes
    red #40, yellow #5, blue #1
    red 40 made my daughter INSANE!!
    when i took it out, she improved greatly
    just a chance this could be some of the issue,
    if he does not eat this stuff, then i suggest lots and lots of patience
    good luck, my daughter at this age (she is three now) could be the queen of tantrums
    so i have been there, i tried to ignore as much as possible
    many many times i left the store with groceries in cart and never made it to checkout line, had people ask me what was wrong with her- very rudely
    you are NOT ALONE!

fiatpax

Anonymous

• My son is 25 months, I thought 6 months ago he was bad....but it has gotten worse. It's normal. HOORAY for independence LOL That's all I can remind myself when he is throwing a jug of juice out of the fridge when I tell him there isn't any yogurt in there for him to eat. Get my point. Good luck, just think how much stronger or an adult they will be LOL
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 10:28 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Hang in there mom! I didn't experience the terrible 2's or 3's but oh boy are we having the time of our lives dealing with terrible 4's. But I have really good news for you. As you reach out to others for wisdom & direction (moms that you admire) the good news is we grow by leaps and bounds as we learn how to deal properly with our little ones. One piece of advice I was given & have really been trying to practice with my now 4 year old (bday was Oct 7) is that I should deal with him with respect (yes-even at 4) When I raise my voice at him and do not practice patience with him he treats me the same way. When he has behavioral issues (which is constantly these days) I was told to get down on his level and whisper to him using love & respect (discipline should be private) it is humiliating for our children when we raise our voices and demean them in front of others. Now -I try to treat him the way I want him to treat me.
    blessedwork

Answer by blessedwork at 10:31 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• It's normal for age one, two, three, four, five, six ... Okay, so I won't count every age until they're an adult and HOPEFULLY realize the silliness of their behavior. However, my point is that there isn't a such thing as "The Terrible Two's". Not only do some children not go through this behavior, other children go through it with every growing year, but some experience it at different years then others. It's a way of them showing their dominance. Pushing their bounderies and letting you know that they not only want freedom, but they think they have unlimited freedom. They push a parent's buttons to see what gets them to crack and when they find that button they press it until it breaks. Teenagers do it, children do it, infants even do it in their own way. It's nothing new, it's just more apparent because of the child's ability to speak and the child's ability to express it easier. (Continue)
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:03 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• (Continue) The worst thing that you can do is let them know that they're getting to you. Believe me, I have two children I know exactly how frustrating and hair pulling it can be. I am no saint and have lost my temper, have screamed, or have wanted to give in. However, the best thing for you and the child is to stay calm and continue with your normal punishment. With their new found independence they're going to try and show you that the punishment doesn't work. That they don't have to listen. That's a ploy. It is to try and get you to give in, to get frustrated, and to let them do whatever they want to do. DON'T FALL INTO THE TRAP! Stick to the punishment, stay calm, and if you have to walk away to clear your head then do so. Breaking down or giving in only exacerbates the situation and that's when they dig their itty bitty claws into you. That's when they can manipulate you and control your every emotion. Stay strong!
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:06 PM on Oct. 11, 2010