Child abuse

Do you think that in cases of child abuse, social services should look as deep into it as possible? Do you think the age of which the incident was reported makes a difference? Like if say the child was 16 compared to say 4 or 5, do you think it should be treated as any less of an issue?

jroseh68

Asked by jroseh68 at 10:09 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• i agree abuse is abuse.elderly, adult, child, teenager abuse is abuse. age shouldn't matter.
    iluvmymomasboys

Answer by iluvmymomasboys at 10:25 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• i think in any case of child abuse from age 0 to age 18 the case worker needs to do her job...and her job is to look into the best interest of the child...do whatever and get whatever resources to make sure the child comes out with the justice they need....
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 10:12 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• How would the severity have anything to do with it? Abuse is abuse. What's the difference in how the child was abused. Still end result is a damaged person.
    stepho345

Answer by stepho345 at 10:21 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I DO think DHS doesn't look in deep enough. I have been on both sides of this issue. I was looked into for neglect and since the didn't look deep enough to find the TRUTH that I DID NOT neglect my kids. They took the "take action and ask questions later" approach and tore apart my family for nothing. My 13 yr old dd, has been forced to live with her very abusive stepmom and dad who stands by and doesn't do anything to stop it. Her dad covers it up and dismisses it that his wife "wasn't on the right meds but now she is" bull $h!t. So, thanks to the stupidity of DHS not looking in deep enough - all three of my kids have suffered. And I don't think that age should matter. A child is a child and no child no matter how old should ever be abused!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 10:24 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• tootoobusy if you don't mind me asking exactly how severe would it have to be?

I appreciate all of your answers. Keep them coming :)

jroseh68

Comment by jroseh68 (original poster) at 10:32 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• The age of the child should have no effect on how hard CPS investigates the situation. A child being abused is a child being abused regardless of their age. Every case should be investigated thoroughly and nothing should be left unturned. The date of the abuse reported based on when it actually occured may have an effect in court, but shouldn't have an effect on the investigation. If a report is made a year or two after the abuse has ended (Say if the abuser moved out of the home for example) it would be hard to prove in court. However, the investigation should not be taken lightly and should never be brushed off as "Abuse being over". Every case should have the right to a full ivestigation taken seriously.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:55 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• An out of control teen, is your child with something going on in them they can't figure out. If you show them that their actions of hitting aren't okay by hitting them back what are you really showing them? It doesn't matter how old a child is everything you do and how you react is a lesson you are teaching your child. If you show them that in that situation you are going to act out violently you are just showing them that is what they should do and not helping the situation. If your child is hitting you, find a way to restrain them and call the police. If your child slapped you once, if you feel the need to call the police then do it... but I would give them time to cool down and go back and talk with them and figure out how we can help that situation so it doesn't happen again. Because in the end no child feels good bout hitting their parents no matter how much they get along with them.
    jroseh68

Comment by jroseh68 (original poster) at 10:03 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• it depends upon the abuse and the severity.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:12 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• yes the age should make a difference! If said 16 year old, slapped me ( mom) I would most definatly slap the crap out of said 16 year old! That "child" is an adult at 17 in Missouri, and if that child is bigger than or the same size as the parent and is hitting the parent, then the parent NEEDS to defend themselves, and teach the child that it WONT EVER happen again! I WISH someone would say that me slapping my out of control teen back was abuse!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:57 AM on Oct. 12, 2010