What do you think of parents who look "hardcore" or "rocker" or "goth"? (Whatever label you want to put on it)

First of all, I HATE labels lol. But I needed some words to describe that general style, and that's all I could think of.

I really don't care how a person looks. So long as they're healthy and their kids are healthy, it's all good to me. I think there is so much in the world today that tries to squash individuality and it really makes me sick. I don't care how someone looks or dresses, but I think everyone should have the right to be who they are and express that however they want to without all the restrictions that are placed on people who don't fit into the "business person" box.

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 10:12 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I think they're generally just like the rest of us and think nothing pro or con of them.

I work in an ER, I see parents with tattoos and piercings holding their children with the same concern, fear, and alarm as any other parent. I see all sorts of parents everyday, you just can't tell what kind of a parent a person is by looking at them.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:20 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• My Hubby has piercings, tattoos, etc.. We love heavy metal, so do our boys, we drive a huge jeep, and have a big truck (Hubbies).. But on the flip side, I dont' have any tattoos, etc, drive a Range Rover, and look like your everyday Mom... I listen to Blue Grass, which cracks my Hubby up.. He's from England, I'm from the U.S.....We couldn't be more opposite really.. But we love our life we've made together, no matter what we look like on the outside, we have many common interests, and one of them is to raise our boys as happy, respectful, loving, hard working, men...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:19 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• It's their freedom. Rather see a mommy dressed in all black with skull tats than a mommy in itty-bitty short shorts with her boobs about to bust out of her tube top, honestly. But either way, freedom.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 10:25 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• The labels you used describe many different types of styles and lifestyles. Not one in general, just to clarify.
    To answer your question though .. If they're supporting their children financially, emotionally, physically, and mentally in a healthy and stable environment then their style means nothing. If they're giving their child proper support, nourishment, education, and just general well being then what they choose to wear has no meaning. Infact, even in poor lifestyles style has really nothing to do with it. Very rarely does the way a person dress have an effect on their lifestyle. As long as those children are overall in good hands and being well taken care of then that's all that matters.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:51 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Well, I have no beef with parents who are out side the main stream way of dressing. However, I will say that the parents/adults/teens I knew who did dress outside of the "norm" were anti conforming. Yet interestingly enough they tried very hard to conform to the goth look or the alternative look. I guess my over all thought is I don't have to look different to have different views and alternative values. I can be who I want to be and not necessarily mark or pierce my body in any way.  I don't judge and I wouldn't not get to know other parents who looked different......but I would be uncomfortable if I suspected they were going out of their way to be different and not conform yet they really are looking exactly like the other people who are in their kind of group, listening to the same music, and saying the same things.  where is being unique if you really are not in the end? 

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:22 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Doesn't even raise my eyebrows. Now, if you were asking what I think about people smoking around their kids, smacking their kids, screaming obscenities at their kids, or generally not paying attention to their children, then I have to be honest - I'm judging them all over the place, regardless of what they're wearing.

Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:25 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I would like to not judge. But this morning there was a news story about a little girl that was missing. The picture of her was with a skull or something and the father who was doing the news interview was wearing a shirt that said Vengence on it. (sp) I hope it meant nothing but I was troubled by it.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:15 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• What ever as long as their kids are happy, healthy, well adjusted mentally, and not being exposed to anything that they shouldn't be (drugs). I have a high schooler that is in our school marching band and one of her fellow band members is what THEY call a "prep". He wears Khaki pants and polo shirts or button down shirts every day with sperries. Well his parents are "goth". Gotta love teen rebellion.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:17 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I don't think anything of them - chances are I call them friends.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:26 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• me and my husband are those type of ppl and it doesn't mean that our son is going to be the same way it's his choise on how he wants to live his life too... we both love our son so much and would do anything for him... i have tatts all over my body and so does my husband i dye my hair like crazy and my son loves it...we rock out in the care and find it to be the coolest thing ever. but believe or not we listen to classical music too... i'm into pshycobilly much and my husband is into metal and country... we really don't have a lot of intrest with eachother but it does make it good for our son.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 10:27 PM on Oct. 11, 2010