does anyone have tips to get a two year old to bed without the fighting and crying?

my little one will not go to bed without a fight. even when she tells us she wants to go to bed we have to basically hog tie her to get the jammies on and in bed. HELP!

raylc

Asked by raylc at 10:17 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We had a little bit of problems with our daughter when she moved into a toddler bed and what stopped it was starting the routine telling her what was going to happen and, as we were doing one thing, reminding her what was next. Took a couple of weeks of it, but she got the idea that it was going to happen a certain way whether she liked it or not.

Of course, now that she's 4-1/2, we are having problems of her trying to make a game out of everything! LOL...it's always something! :-)
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:20 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• My one son is 4 yrs old, and I tell him to pick out one or two books, and I will read them to him, but only after he has his jammies on and is in bed ready to go, I know its a battle good luck...
    Army108th

Answer by Army108th at 10:21 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Get the jammies on early. Before actual bedtime. Have a quiet down routine. Tell her 10 minutes before time that she has to do and get everything now because it is bed time in 10 minutes. Do not give in. Do not argue. Just follow through. She needs to learn that her fighting is not going to meet with success.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:22 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• If the jammies are part if the issue let her go to bed in a shirt and diaper/undies. Establish a routine and stick to it even if she isn't. Have you tried the Johnson's bedtime bath with lavender? There is a pillow mist that has the same scent. Lavender is calming and will help put her to sleep. Give her her bath or put some lotion on her hands. Read a story and then put her in bed and walk out. The first few nights, yes she will cry.
    Have the hubs hold you if you can't take it. Mine did this as well. In the end I had to put the door know covers on so he couldn't come out. After a few weeks when I put him to bed and read his story he kissed me night night and cuddled with a stuffie!
    KrisLynnLittle

Answer by KrisLynnLittle at 10:23 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Youngest is 2 in nov. We take an Early nap! Noon, And a routine. Same thing every night. And if you visit late to places or sitter, make it a routine that can follow. Have you tried a big filling dinner? And AllaboutKeeley, we older kids race! See who can get face washed,teeth brushed, peeing, and to bed. First one under the covers is the weener! They are 3(almost 4) ,7 and 14. Good luck and be consistent
    stepho345

Answer by stepho345 at 10:41 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Nightly routines are vital. Maybe have her get into her pajamas an hour before bedtime. Then start your routine. Clearly having the bath before the pajamas are put on if that's what the routine entails. Then she may feel less likely to fight you when it's Pajama time, because she knows that she still has a little more freedom before bedtime. Then go through with the nightly routien. Watch a short video or read a few books on the couch before bedtime. Then have her do her bathroom duties like using the bathroom, brushing teeth, etc. All in all, with this routine I think she should have a voice in all the matters. What Pajamas, what video or books, what snack/drink she has, how she's tucked into bed, etc. Allow her some freedom in the choosing, and this might help her feel more in control of the bedtime routine. A lot of the times children fight their parents is because they feel no control. So give her some leeway.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:48 PM on Oct. 11, 2010