Do parents really not know that Public Schools can NOT require children to be vaccinated?

Every single vaccine question that comes up - whether for or against - has at least one answer stating, as if it were fact, vaccines are required by law for schools...

Is it really that unknown that Public Schools can not refuse a child based on vaccines? I mean, I have even seen this information on GMA and other News Shows, so how is it that there are really that many parents who don't know it?

Do parents really not know this? or are they making statements like this hoping others don't know? or is it something else? I mean, for or against vaccines, the law is the law, and your views can't make something law if it's not... So why make these statements IF you know they aren't true? And IF you don't know the facts are you simply not paying attention?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 10:43 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• If it has never affected them personally then probably no
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 10:46 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Call me uninformed, but don't you need some sort of valid excuse (like religious beliefs) for a non-vaccinated child to be enrolled in a public school?
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:46 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• "If the bona fide religious beliefs of an adult or the parent, guardian or person in loco parentis of a child are contrary to the immunization requirements, the adult or the child shall be exempt from the requirements. Upon submission of a written statement of the bona fide religious beliefs and opposition to the immunization requirements, the person may attend the college, university, school or facility without presenting a certificate of immunization. No child shall be exempt from the requirements of immunizations for the case of a personal belief or philosophy of a parent or guardian not founded upon a religious belief."

The law as written in NC - and yes, our local publics schools have refused a child because he was not vaccinated because of PERSONAL belief not religious. 

twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:53 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Each and EVERY State has exemptions. For those states which allow for "Philosophical" exemption the parent simply needs to have personal reasons and the school can not stop a student from attending on the grounds of incomplete vaccine records! For all other states Religious and Medical exemptions are permitted. Although each state has different laws for what "Religious Exemption" really means most will except a "Moral or Personal Conviction in the Strength of a Religious Belief" as enough and do not usually require any actual religious documentation. However, if they do, religious leaders can usually be found for each path which are willing to sign a statement which counts for exemptive purposes. If they refuse or question religious exemption they can actually be sued for religious discrimination - I've known it to happen.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 10:59 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I went to public school, and university and grad school in NC and I'm not fully vaccinated. My mom was never asked to show our medical records.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:19 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I'm aware of this and gave it a lot of consideration and probably still will before the boosters....we'll see.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:24 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• LOL...I have to explain on every damn question about vaccines that there is an exemption in every state. I still get voted down and told how wrong I am...
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:38 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Honestly, I didn't know that for sure. All my kids are vaccinated, but I know that there are kids that aren't and often wondered how they got around it? I know a lot of them were homeschooled, but not all. I'm glad to know that ppl have options. Either way I choose to vaccinate.
    twinmama2five

Answer by twinmama2five at 1:11 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Well, I wish someone would tell that to the schools in Oregon and Arizona and Montana. If the child isn't vaccinated, they don't get to attend school with the other children. Period. So what are we to do? Who will take up our case? We don't have a money for a lawyer. Who will tell the school they have to let us in?
    Prayerpartner

Answer by Prayerpartner at 5:00 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• miltary school district makes you write a testimony with proof of such beliefs, and then after much debate, your child will be accepted
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:53 AM on Oct. 12, 2010