Have you take a long car trip with your children by yourself? How did it go?

I am often on long trips with my kids by myself since my husband is in the military and we usually live pretty far from family. The last really long trip I made was when my son was 3 and I was pregnant for my daughter, we drove from utah to ohio and back. Since my daughter was born we have made regular 2 to 4 hour drives at least 2 times a month for the past 3 years until now. We recently moved 10 hrs away and I am making my first solo trip with both kids that will take more than a couple of hrs. My kids are used to the car and have lots of things to keep them entertained but i am finding myself nervous about this trip for some reason.

foxracing43701

Asked by foxracing43701 at 10:51 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• My daughter and i jsut went to Dallas (from Austin) over the weekend-went to six flags
    I have never actually gotten a hotel or anything on my own before- so I was a bit freaked out- but the gps took us straight where we needed to be and everything went fine and we had a blast at six flags :)

back in May both kids and I did a 13-14 hour drive from Utah to Phx and back -that wasn't too bad

and about 3 or 4 years ago we did a 7 hour drive from New Mexico to Phx and back- it was fine too

* when they were little we would drive from Phx to California -a 6-7 hour trip and that was not fun- traveeling with kids under 12 -not my idea of a good time!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:07 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Mmm......around 7 hrs. I have 3 under 5. ;) Very well actually!! gl
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 10:52 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I did a 6 hour (each way) trip with my son when he was 19 months old. I was very nervous too. I think it's natural to feel vulnerable when you are in strange places with your children, who you always want to protect. Our trip went badly on the way there, but then I turned his carseat to front facing for the way home and it was much better.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 10:53 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I take long trips and i baught my daughter a porable dvd player that hooks to the back of a head rest and stop every two hours for a stretch.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 10:53 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Plan your route and find some interesting things to stop and do along the way. Make sure you have your GPS, cell phone, etc charged. Also, have someone from your destination call and check on you every few hours. Finally, relax and take a deep breath, things will be okay.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:54 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I drive from Denver to Los Angeles every summer with my kids who are 5, 11, & 12. We go see my great uncle, who turned 90 this year. I've been doing it since the little one was 2. I just take it slowly and try to see a lot of fun things along the way. The kids love to stop in Moab, Utah and Las Vegas. I might do it again this winter since DH cannot get time off in the winter (aside from a day here or there or an emergency.) They absolutely love the trip and seeing my uncle.

If I drove straight with only stopping for food and gas it would be about 18 hours. I usually take 3-4 days.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:56 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• *traveling
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:08 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I have. We were a Military family too and I traveled with my kids to visit family. I drove from North CArolina to Minnesota and back. I flew from Germany to Minnesita with the kids when they were 5,3 and 1. They were really good.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:09 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• we are mlitary, we have driven from Georgia to Missouri. form Missouri to North Carolina, and much more! If you have afully loaded van, and many activities and are williung to stop and sight see, and have fun on the way, it is great!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:46 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• we have our gps ready to go and I know where I plan to stop (other than the I have to pee NOW stops...lol) unfortunately this is not a happy visit so we will not have time to stop and do fun things, most of the trip is through mountains anyway. They have their dvd players,ds's,games,music, all the fun stuff. Maybe i'm just nervous because this an unplanned trip because of an illness in my family.
    foxracing43701

Comment by foxracing43701 (original poster) at 10:59 PM on Oct. 11, 2010