Can Landlord charge a transfer fee?

I wanted to know if Landlords are allowed to charge a Fee for transfering apartments, when you are being moved to accomidate an Autistic child. I having been harrased by neighbors for years, and the office has interviened, with no resolution. My neighbors are constantly banging and knocking on the walls for little noises, such as my son shuffling his feet. They are making US move, and are charging us a $500 transfer fee. Is their any sort of Law protecting a Family when you are having to move because of your childs Autism? Is this considered an accomidation that they are supposed to incure, in order to accomidate the child, and family. I think they should charge the family below me, because of the harrasment, and their refusal to work with us. Any advice is welcome!

SuperAutismMaMa

Asked by SuperAutismMaMa at 10:57 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Relationships

• Yes, They can.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:04 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• It's probably spelled out in the contract/lease that you signed, but you can check out your local laws online I'm sure. I would think your landlord would have all the right in the world to charge it.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:05 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• You shouldn't have to pay a transfer to move. They're making you move against your will. I would talk to a lawyer and sue your neighbor and your landlord. That's harassement to the fulliest. You should try 911-legalservices.com it's free landlord & tenant law information. I haven't used it but I have a friend who did. Or call your local housing coalition. I hope this helpped. Good luck
    TwannaB.

Answer by TwannaB. at 1:36 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Thank you TwannaB., I will try that! That's the way that I was feeling, because they said "Who's to say the next people won't complain? So it should be you to move." I really appriciate all of the advice you gave, and I appriciate the advice from the other folks as well. :) Thank you
    SuperAutismMaMa

Comment by SuperAutismMaMa (original poster) at 1:43 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• hey can do whatever they want, well not WHATEVER, but UKWIM.
    gulfcoastmom4

Answer by gulfcoastmom4 at 8:03 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Re-read your initial lease/rent agreement. If you don't see anything like that in your agreement, then no, they can't. To be sure, I'd Google the landlord/tenant laws in your state.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 10:37 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Ok, but what's to say the new neighbors YOU move next to won't complain? So their reasoning doesn't work.. re-read your lease and find a lawyer
    HeatherReneeB

Answer by HeatherReneeB at 10:39 AM on Oct. 12, 2010