Sudden increase in milk flow?

I am BFing my 9 month old and have noticed lately that my breasts seem to fill faster, leak more (I haven't had leaking issues in months!) He isn't nursing more often. About the same as usual really. Night before last he slept through the night for once, so I expected them to fill really full when I woke up. And last night he only woke once. Usually he wakes several times. So I guess that could explain why they are so full in the mornings but it doesn't account for the rest of the day. Earlier today he was crying (his sister was making him mad taking toys from him) and I started leaking everywhere- And he had just eaten not long before that! What is going on?

DancingRainbows

Asked by DancingRainbows at 11:02 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Health

• It could be that even though he is not nursing as often he is suckling harder and pulling more out...I mentioned the same thing to my sons pediatrician and that's what she said.
    shortleo

Answer by shortleo at 11:06 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• He still nurses just as often, but not any more then usual. And it has only been two nights that he has nursed less then his normal, but tonight he seems back to waking up to nurse several times. Already he's woke twice and it's only 10! Sometimes though it sounds like he's gulping. Like he's getting too much too fast and trying to keep up.
    DancingRainbows

Comment by DancingRainbows (original poster) at 11:09 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Has your diet changed?
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 11:10 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Nope. Still eating the same.
    DancingRainbows

Comment by DancingRainbows (original poster) at 11:13 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Breast milk is usually produced on demand - the more you bf the more milk you produce, when you taper off, it does too. But the change takes a few days to kick in... at least it did for me...about a week - 10 days when I cut out the 2 nitetime feedings.

The sound of ANY baby crying would make me leak during my breastfeeding days...even a baby on TV once. :-\
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 1:53 PM on Oct. 12, 2010