Has anyone taken the Graduate Record Exam? How did you prepare for it? Most of the test preparation programs are really expensive......

survivormama10

Asked by survivormama10 at 11:02 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

• You can find free sample tests online, and check books out from the library. I recommend studying latin roots and brushing up on your math. For the writing portion, they're looking more for structure (intro paragraph, supporting arguments, conclusion, etc). I crammed for the math portion the night before for about 2 hrs, and the math I studied wasn't even on my test. I reviewed volume, and my test had algebra, which I knew. My friend who had studied for 6 mos. only made 50pts higher.

Good luck on your test!
    kitkabob

Answer by kitkabob at 9:20 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I have not taken it but I have looked into it. You can find several prep books at bookstores and at your local library.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:05 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I have taken it. It's pretty hard ... I only study for a day because I just wanted to see how I would do without spending any time lol. I don't reccomend that. The Kaplan book helped my sceond time tons!
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 11:18 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• ok thank you kaylan010. the school i am applying to is requiring a combined score of 1000 for the verbal and quantitative scales only.
    survivormama10

Comment by survivormama10 (original poster) at 11:25 PM on Oct. 11, 2010