Is it bad that my 16 month old knows the F word?

& he says it often. atleast once or twice a day. it was an accident, i didnt mean for him to learn it.. i say it more then i should & even if i try to tell myself not to, i forget and still say it sometimes. honestly, i think its hysterical. i cant help but crack up when he says it.. but what would you think if you heard him say it at the park while you were with your kids?

PURPULbutterfly

Asked by PURPULbutterfly at 11:23 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't see an issue. I've never bought in to this idea of "bad words" or "cuss words." Seriously, what matters is how we use the words we have, not which ones we use. Words which aren't normally seen as "bad words" can be just as, or more so, offensive when used in a way which harms others, so what makes them okay? And how is it any different screaming Fuck when you kick your foot or screaming ouch? Really? What makes one worse? IMO, nothing... I have always found it more important to teach my children to be nice no matter what words they use than to teach there are words which shouldn't be used...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:28 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I would think his parents need to watch their mouths around their child. I have a 4 year old nephew that swears like a sailor and it's embarrassing. While it may be funny to you right now, it's not going to be funny when he old enough to go to school and constantly getting in trouble for it.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 11:29 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Not good. You need to quit laughing and encouraging him to continue with such language. It will only cause all kinds of problems for him and for you. If he goes to a nursery they will ask him to leave if he's won't stop saying the Fword. Parents aren't going to want their children playing with him, because they won't want their child to pick it up....Just bad all around.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 11:31 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• IMO I think people who use the "F" word frequently sound uneducated and trashy. I mean if it slips once and awhile ok, but enough for you 16 month old to pick up? Really? I would be embarrassed and I would try to teach him that it's not a very nice word to use.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 11:32 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I would remove my child from your child because, personally, even at 4, I don't believe she should be hearing, let alone saying, that word.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:29 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Um that's terrible. I'm sorry but when I hear young kids cussing and the parents doing nothing about it, I automatically think they are trashy. If you really think its okay for him to say those words, at least teach him to not say them in public or around other kids who's parents are, most likely, going to be very upset when they hear their child's new vocab.
    Anonymous

• That's crazy. Yes it bad. Try not to curse around him. Use other words instead. Like "Darn it" or something like that.
    It's called "WORD SUBSTITUTION"
    TeeHas3

Answer by TeeHas3 at 11:34 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• when you laugh you are telling him that it is ok to say, I think it is disrespectful of the parent to other people, even though your child does not know the meaning he is still repeating it and possibly teaching other children to say it. I have slipped a word here or there that my kids shouldn't say but usually if you ignore them or direct their attention elsewhere when they say it , it doesn't become a problem especially at that age but if you encourage it by laughing and continuing to say it he wont forget it and will use it like he does.

foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 11:30 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I completely agree with dmbutler. If my son made a friend that cussed all the time and said the F word, I wouldn't want them playing together anymore. I think MOST parents aren't okay with their young children saying curse words, so I wouldn't be surprised if you have issues with your son being called the "bad influence" later on and not being allowed to play with certain kids. Nip it in the butt.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:34 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I don't like it and I don't think it's cute when a baby says it. I never used that kind of language around my kids. My husband rarely cusses at all. I'm not trying to act like I"m perfect because I'm not,but I hate when people constantly talk like that.
    chickychatter

Answer by chickychatter at 11:35 PM on Oct. 11, 2010