Does anyone knows about wolf spiders

I live in Texas and according to pictures online the spider it's a wolf spider. Something bit my 24 month old boy over night on his left outter hand, It is red and swollen. His Doctor is close on Sundays so I don't know what to put on him for the swelling to go down.

alice80

Asked by alice80 at 12:22 AM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Health

• just put ice on it if its painful give him some pain relief
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• what about the ER
    Anonymous

• if the swelling and pain take a turn for the worst you should take him in to the er asap
    juliansmommie23

Answer by juliansmommie23 at 12:24 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Wolf spiders are assholes to say the least. I don't know if they're poisonous but I DO know that they'll chase you. I also know their bites are painful. Keep a close eye on your baby.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 12:28 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Benadryl and call the pedi hot line and see what he thinks you should do. Even if they are closed there is always a # to call. HOPE he's ok.
    nightowlmama4

Answer by nightowlmama4 at 12:37 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I just checked on line and it says that children and elderly should seek medical attention immediately.
    http://www.termite.com/spider-identification.html
    nightowlmama4

Answer by nightowlmama4 at 12:39 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Wolf spiders are mildly venomous, and while I would definitely want a bite checked out in someone so young, it isn't because I think there is a real threat to the child...moreso because you may have misidentified the spider. There are many species of spider look very similar, so it's important to retain the specimen if you can possibly do so to help with identification, and I would call the on call line for your pediatrician or just take your child to the ER to have it looked at. It's always better to be safe than sorry.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 1:53 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• OK, I may be way late in answering, but....I used to teach health and safety stuff for a job, and one of the things I taught was animal and insect bites. The problem is that some spiders look like other spiders as a defence mechanism. You may have seen what looked like a wolf spider, but it could be something else. I would take your son to the ER and have him checked out. Although most spider bites are not fatal, they can cause intense pain, and just to be safe, I'd have him checked to reassure myself that he was ok.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:02 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• wolf spiders are common house spiders. i would take a marker/pen circle the red area on his hand. If it gets larger then take him to the dr. But I would give him some tylenol for now. If it looks worse or if he starts acting differently take him to the ER
    bbysqd

Answer by bbysqd at 4:59 PM on Oct. 27, 2008