Kid with constant coughing, wheezing but the doc says it may pass. Anyone have experience with this?

My child gets sick and he coughs. He may get other symptoms but mostly he coughs and he has an inhaler but the doc doesn't want to say it's asthma yet. A friend suggested milk allergy. He's healthy in the summer but when fall starts the school year is socked in with coughing. Any ideas other than asthma? I'm not thinking mold but I'm doing a test....any thoughts at all would be helpful as I try to whittle down the possibilities. Thx.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:53 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes, he has asthma, no they aren't calling it asthma officially because they know labeling a kiddo with asthma can be a bad thing. You don't want your child labeled. It has major implications on life insurance, health insurance, etc...

Asthma and allergies overlap often. Treat your kiddo for allergies (zyrtec, singulair if your doc agrees), use preventative meds (like pulmicort), and use the albutrerol as needed for coughing attacks. Asthma (or reactive airway disease) is progressive. The more attacks a child has, the worse the athma gets, and the chances of them outgrowing it starts to decline. The more agressive you are with preventative treatment, the greater chance you have that your kiddo will outgrow it an never officially get the "asthma" lable.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 12:18 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• My son does the same thing and it's allergy induced asthma.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 11:55 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Yes. It is common. It will pass. It always sounds much worse than what it really is.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 11:56 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• not sure how it sounds but what about whooping cough? Pneumonia? try googling actual sounds of respiratory issues. wheezing is a good indicator of pneumonia. i am in nursing school so i have a little bit of access to certain videos and sound examples if you would like to pm me and i can see what is on my blackboard that i might be able to give you a link to.
    MamaHardy2008

Answer by MamaHardy2008 at 12:01 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• yes my son had it too the gave us a breathing machine with albuterl and pulicore get a second opnion from another dr cuz u never know nowadays my son had severe ashtma and luckily we caught it
    Tiffany_Rivera_

Answer by Tiffany_Rivera_ at 12:17 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• it took 2 years to officially diagnose my dd with asthma, she had the same thing with the cough and wheezing in the spring and fall, unfortunately before they decided to start treating her regularly she ended up in the hospital a couple of times. If you feel that what your dr is doing isnt enough I would seek a second opinion. It also helps to write down "flare ups" times when he is at his worst and how many times you use the albuterol so they can see exactly how much you are relying on the meds. With this information they will be able to determine if you need a preventative type medicine like sigulair wich helps with allergies and asthma.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 12:40 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• My son does this when the season changes. His dr. put him on breathing treatments whenever he starts with this. She gives us a script without the steroid and when he starts this we give him one treatment. That way we can head off the problem early. :)
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 1:02 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• That is my son when the the seasons change as well, every spring and fall. His doctor calls it sickness induced asthma because if he gets a cold/sick throughout the year it happens as well, not just with is allergies (but those are the worst times) We have a nebulizer and use abuteral (I am sure that is spelled wrong) and he also takes singular on a as needed basis.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 5:47 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• My son got asthma from allergies in the spring and fall. He coughed like crazy. He was prescribed Singulair packets. We put them in pudding every night. It helped tremendously. He seems to have outgrown it now, I hope! It was seasonal allergies, things growing outside, not food related.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:47 AM on Oct. 12, 2010