would you call child protection over this

theres a girl i know who has a really scuzzy boyfriend with pitbulls and a marujuana addiction at the very least . she got pregnant to him and smoked weed while expecting and then had a girl and called her a silly name as a joke !! now the baby is 1 and she has dyed the babys hair blonde as a joke , her hair was black . I am horrified and want to do something about it , is this not abuse.

maymummy

Asked by maymummy at 11:56 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ok... here's my thoughts. Nothing you listed is exactly grounds for child services to take action. However... these are just the things you know about. Who knows whats going on in the house that you don't know about. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if there are some real neglect issues going on, especially since it sounds like the mom might be mentally handicapped her self, judging by her choices.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 12:11 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• It's not something I would do or I would like to see, but the ONLY thing you listed there which could possibly be illegal is the drug usage, which could be hard to prove, and unless they are selling and have large quantities in the house or can be proven to be unfit because of their usage the child won't be removed anyways. Pitbulls are not harmful to children and now that the baby is here there is no way to prove she smoked weed while pregnant. Naming a child something silly isn't a crime either, have you seen some of the names these people give their kids now a days? As for dying her hair, it's sad, and technically harmful, but not something illegal or even something that could be considered "endangering" a child...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:01 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• good question, definitely not good if there are drugs in the home....
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:56 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• 1.) Having dogs is NOT child abuse
    2.) Having a scuzzy boyfriend is NOT child abuse
    3.) Calling her daughter a silly name that you don't approve of is NOT child abuse
    4.) Dyeing her daughters hair is NOT child abuse, though it is odd and I wouldn't recomend it
    5.) You have no PROOF that she smoked pot while pregnant so that accusation will never hold water.
    6.) The only one that you could go on is smoking pot, but even then CPS isn't horribly concerned about that. They are more concerned about cocaine, heroine, abuse, enough food, and proper living conditions.

Would I call CPS? Not unless I saw that the child was being abused in any way. Smoking pot, while not the most responsible decision when a parent, does not assume a bad parent.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 12:10 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• i would tip someone off if she is doing drugs especially in front of her child. as for the pitbulls- what do they have to do with anything? Its the owner- not the dog. i have had pitbulls and they were the sweetest ever- and no we did not raise all of them we rescued one from the pound.
    MamaHardy2008

Answer by MamaHardy2008 at 11:58 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• was the fact he has pitbulls really part of the question? I wouldn't say those things alone are abuse (although the drugs are bad if babies were taken away from everyone who smoked where would the babies be?) but that they raise flags. She just sounds like she doesn't have the ability to make good choices. Having a friend that makes better choices and can show her the way might be better for the baby than reporting her. Its hard to say though not actually seeing the situation.
    seturkey

Answer by seturkey at 12:01 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• A guy wearing a wife beater and tattoos??????

OH MY GOD...call the authorities RIGHT AWAY!!!
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 12:12 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I would, at least the authorities can check it out and make an evaluation of the living arrangements. If something happened to that baby, you would never forgive yourself,
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 12:00 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• maybe not physical abuse but maybe there is mental abuse. and the drugs the kids deff do not need to be around.
    iluvmymomasboys

Answer by iluvmymomasboys at 12:01 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• okay the pitbulls are on huge chains that he parades around , i dont care what people say , if a guy wearing a wifebeater with tattoos walks around with 2 pitbulls , i find that questionable. and thats my opinion , would i leave my kids with him , hell no.
    maymummy

Comment by maymummy (original poster) at 12:05 AM on Oct. 12, 2010