Daugher's foot turned slightly outward at birth, anyone have experience with this?

the doctors say it is probably positional, meaning it turned that way from how she was positioned in me prior to being born. It has gotten better, but when she tenses her foot and stretches her legs out, her right foot turns out to the right. She is just two weeks old. Just wondering if anyone has had experience with this, if it fixes itself, or if anything else needs to be done. We sent an application and was reffered by our doctor to Shriner's Hospital, just waiting for an approval.

Kainalu55

Asked by Kainalu55 at 12:20 AM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My youngest sister was born with her feet turned. I seem to recall her in some braces for a few months . She is 18 now and she never had a problem since
    Ameliamomo2

Answer by Ameliamomo2 at 12:26 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• My girls feet look so bad after they were born - for months! I thought for sure there were surgeries in our future, but with both girls it just fixed itself. However, there's no need to wait, get a specialist to look at it and put your mind at ease.

Really in the realm of things that can go wrong at birth, feet are the luckiest thing you can hope for. One side of my daughters heart was half the size it should have been at birth, be thankful for a foot issue.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 12:27 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• i don't know. i would consult a doc. but i would not under any let them operate on my child unless it was bothering my child or was a life or death situation. i would wait till my child was a little bigger so that if and when they did the would maybe have less chances of messing things up. babys are tiny easier to mess up in operations.
    iluvmymomasboys

Answer by iluvmymomasboys at 12:27 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• My older brother had it when he was a baby. I know he had to wear a cast or a brace for the first couple of years. Hopefully it's ok with your daughter. He never had to have surgery, so I would not freak out or panic about that. He did fine and you'd never know he ever had a problem.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 12:30 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• my daughter was born with one of her legs bowed out from the way she was sitting, we had to do some exercises with her legs a few times a day, it corrected with just that after a few weeks. definately see the doc though, they may have a brace or an exercise that will help.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 12:31 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• yes, i am hoping surgery won't be necessary, I just think it's best to go now that she is still little, and hopefully if any "fixing" is needed, it will be easier to do now when her bones are still developing. I am hoping when we bring her, they will say it's no problem at all..i just need to see someone to ease my mind!

Works4Mom.com---- How long did it take for their feet to fix themselves? We were told our daughters may just fix themselves. And yes, i agree there could be a lot of things worse at birth.
    Kainalu55

Comment by Kainalu55 (original poster) at 12:32 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I am hoping there is an exercise we can do with her to help fix it!
    Kainalu55

Comment by Kainalu55 (original poster) at 12:33 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• no
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 8:32 PM on Oct. 15, 2010