Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

My 19 year old cousin is vulnerable and being abused in a group home

I really need to know how to get the media involved to expose a small town cover up.My 19 year old cousin went into a juvenile facility 7 years ago as punishment for pissing on a tree outside of his school.He's a vulnerable adult reading at a 3rd grade reading level.The town used him for football purposes at the local school,yet they didn't want him there as a student.He was teased constantly and now he's still stuck in the system from lies and deceit by the judge,case worker,and group home staff.4 yrs ago he was beat up by the staff leaving him with a broken nose and 2 black eyes,and it just happened again last week.The case manager has banned the family from contacting him and vice versa so another client took pictures and emailed them to my cousin-the victim's sister and told her what was going on.My little cousin is contemplating suicide and the cops don't help,they just arrest him.How can I get the media's attention?

Answer Question

Asked by msgillum at 12:38 AM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

Level 3 (17 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • There are agencies and advocacy groups set up for helping the handicapped. Call them for help.

    Call a suicide hotline. They are set up to give advice, and might be able to point you to some legal help. This kind of thing IS AGAINST THE LAW.

    Seriously, if the situation is as you describe it, don't let another day go by without having the home served with legal papers. Make a police report and start a paper trail.

    Answer by waldorfmom at 12:50 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

  • I agree, take it to the media ASAP.  They can not keep family from seeing him NOR can they lay a hand on him.  Go to the police tomorrow, contact advocacy groups to help


    Answer by pnwmom at 2:14 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

  • Some of those links will provide links to legal help. Your cousin has rights to legal representation AND protection from mental and physical harm.

    Answer by pnwmom at 2:15 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

  • He needs a lawyer that will recuse that judge.

    Answer by pnwmom at 2:17 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

  • This happened to one of my family members about 4 years ago. I don't know what state you are posting from. I am from California . What we did was called the Chanel 7 eye witness news station we also emailed them. We told them that Channel 4 NBC was going to do this, but we would rather have channel 7 do it. (we lied) it worked! They emailed and asked the questions they needed they followed up under cover got more info, then they came to the house and interviewed. Next because media was then involved we took it to the courts since our niece was 18 she was at legal age We went in and reported sexual abuse with the hospital which called the pd. PD came to hosp. And got a statement from us. They investigated it we took report # to Court house got TRO and temporary custody order (TCO) we took it to another judge and was granted a full investigation. 3 months later We had her home period. Won case and we sued. Pro Bono on lawyer.

    Answer by pumpkindreams at 6:13 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

  • You should be able to call the state and make a complaint first if you haven't. You need to show proof of what's happening and what you have tried so far.
    if you want your media involved just call them. All of my local stations have investigative groups and if they think it's worth it they will investigate

    Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:01 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

  • there must be some media interested?

    Answer by san78 at 12:43 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

  • Thanks alot,you all have been very helpful.I'm most definitely doing alot of emailing and calling around and it's hard but it's much needed.My aunt is being taken advantadge of and it appears these people are all about keeping him for their own financial gain.This is taking place in a small town in minnesota and I currently reside in Hawaii but I will do any and everything to help get my cousin out of this place and get them shut down.The sad thing is some of the staff are witnesses and they have told my aunt what went on but refuse to tell the cops when they come because they don't want to lose their jobs.If something happens to my cousin,they'll truly have to live with that the rest of their lives.Once again,thanks for the links and advice ladies.

    Comment by msgillum (original poster) at 12:50 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

  • Your state should assign a disability rights advocate or I would hire an attorney with that background and well-recommended.

    Answer by tasches at 2:19 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.