How do you get over the emotional abuse, when the abuser is in your every day life?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Relationships

• take the abuser out of your everyday life.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 1:00 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I don't know if you will ever totally get over mental abuse but you can survive and come out stronger. Don't allow that fool to see that he has worn you down and made an impact. I know that may be hard but keep in mind that you are strong, you are better than he is, you are a fighter and survivor. Believe in yourself and believe that no one and I mean absolutely NO ONE can control your thoughts, your life or your happiness except YOU.
    Cheveyo1

Answer by Cheveyo1 at 1:34 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• The first step is getting the abuser out of your life. You cannot get over something if you have to stay in it. Rid yourself of that toxic abusive person and then in time you will begin to feel better and eventually get over it.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 3:20 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• ignore it
    A11

Answer by A11 at 3:33 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• It is hard when a person is so angry, hurt, or been raised in abuse to do it. Its even harder for us who are co-dependent to allow them to use us as a punching bag. We tell ourselves that our love will heal them. If we do what they say, they'll know how much we love them & stop. If we just keep the house in order & ourselves looking good, it will stop. But it never does. At some point there has to be a confrontation. Not knowing your situation, I can only assume you stay because you are in fear for your life; you have children & no means of support; or you are so in love with him that you willingly let him abuse you. Yes, willingly. Because it is not normal for us to allow someone to be so cruel to us unless we believe we don't deserve better. First, get some counseling 4 u. If you have children think hard if you want them to grow up to repeat it in their relationships. Pray God will help you with your choice & give u strength
    Prayerpartner

Answer by Prayerpartner at 4:41 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• i was in a similar situation and i found it hard to get away from it .......but i finally done it begining of this year and havent looked back ......but both mental and emotional scars are still there but i do the best i can for my children and put a smile on my face for them but we all find strength and determination from within us to get away from the situation
    cazzie103

Answer by cazzie103 at 7:11 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I would also seek out counseling to cope with your mental abuse. They may also help you rid yourself of your abuser. If the two of you have children together, your counselor/therapist may be able to help you divorce/separate from him and give you sole custody and he won't have visitation rights until HE gets counseling for his abuse problem.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 9:42 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• It's hard when he's your child's dad and you have to talk to or see him regularly. In my case, luckily he isn't that bad now that we're divorcing, but he still likes to put me on the defensive.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 11:53 AM on Oct. 12, 2010