How to ask apartment complex to limit bug spray

My apartment complex has been sold a number of times in the years I have lived here. The new owner is not allowing anyone to refuse quarterly pesticides inside the apartment. What I have gathered from research is that commercial grade pesticides are effective for over a year. I understand this person's desire to keep their newly found asset at a high value for when he chooses to sell. But what about my children's neurological well being? We maintain our home with out the use of harsh chemicals. I encouraged them to spray outside of our home and was told no if's and's or but's they WOULD be spraying inside my home around my two small children.

Carrielayne

Asked by Carrielayne at 1:06 AM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Health

• I would check local laws to see if you have any legal recourse. As the property owner, he/she is required to keep up and protect the property, but you may not HAVE to submit to exposure to toxins within your living space.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 1:38 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• They are the owners...I totally get your point but I don't think you have any say in this. Take a look at the specifics of your lease. I am betting there is a cluase in there somewhere that says you have to submit to regular maintenance, and pest control is considered maintenance. You could certainly try to contact your local housing authority.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 1:20 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Ditto getrealmama...they own it, so they can more than likely do whatever they see fit. And with the infestation of bed bugs and roaches, you could hardly blame them.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 5:36 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I'd probably just move rather than fight them.....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 10:17 AM on Oct. 12, 2010