Frustrated about trying to buy WIC

today I tried to buy kiwi strawberry juicy juice instead of the regular punch flavor and the checker was a total dick to me! he just looked atm e like i was stupid and told me i couldn't get it so im like okay ill go get a diferent one? (which any other store would have sent someone that works there, back to get it) so no i go get it and he says something. when i go tto the car i asked my mom what he had said and he had said "better hurry up"

UM OKAY RUDE MUCH. wtf
I'm always treated like that when I buy WIC. the customers behind me treat me like that, the chckers always glare at me. i HATE it but I have no choice, my kids NEED that food. its a huge help to our household.

if i had known what he had said in tha tmoment I would have turned around, told him he was being disrespectful, and I would have left all my stuff (not just wic stuff) there and fricken left.

haaa, venting, thanks for reading

ElsaSalsaaa

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 1:29 AM on Oct. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'd complain to the manager. I know the WIC coupons are sort of a pain for the checkers, but THAT'S THEIR JOB.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 1:31 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I'd definitely call and complain to the manager.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 1:33 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• our store is good about labeling wat u can n cant get from wic but then thers some that dont n there just like u describe ur store some cashiers can b rude about it as if they didnt have wic to lol
    sandi_361

Answer by sandi_361 at 1:33 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Also turn your receipt into the WIC office and complain about your treatment to your Wic caseworker. They want to know about any complaints you might have. Too many complaints and the store could get their WIC license removed.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:34 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• if there is a winco near you, they are really good about having what is WIC approved labeled. i also hate how long it takes ring out the wic items, but there isn't really anything you can do about it. even when i have everything seperated by check the cashier always seems clueless. whenever i am shopping wic, i tell anyone who gets in line behind me that i have wic and it takes a long time to ring up. most of the time it's actually a conversation starter, idk why. or the person will move to another line, i have never gotten a neg. responce for telling the next person in line that, i think it's appreciated. i would definately complain about your cashier though...what a jerk!
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 2:33 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I would talk to the manager
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 3:22 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I feel for you SO much! I don't know if anyone here has heard of Topix.com, but I heard that on our local forum someone posted about their experience at a local grocery store and I think about 100 or 200 women around here (and some men) are pretty much boycotting the store because of how the clerk treated a woman who was using WIC when she checked out. I get sneers, rude whispers behind my back, etc., all the time. It pisses me off so bad that people look down on women who have WIC. Everyone compares it to every other kind of assistance, but I know around here you can make a LOT more money than you can to qualify for food stamps or anything else, and still get WIC. I think it's almost double.

I would ignore the people who act like that in the moment, then make sure you see their name and call management and complain about it. Advise anyone else you know who has WIC to do the same. Enough complaints, something will change.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 3:26 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• You should let the store manager know what happened. That is not right. Small stores depend on the sales from WIC.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:03 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• You need to report him to the manager. That's not right.
    Yea, I do get some people in line behind me who look at me like I'm some deadbeat when I say "This is on WIC". But I've never had any issue with the cashier. People in general don't understand that being on assitence doesn't mean you're a deadbeat. It only means that you're needing assitence. They judge you and you have no way out of it. It's not right by any means and it especially shouldn't be given as a rude or disrespectful statement/look by cashiers.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:54 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• i would complain to the manager. it doesnt matter what you use to buy your food, you deserve to be treated with respect from the employees.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 10:33 AM on Oct. 12, 2010