Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Antibacterial Wipes?

Does anyone know of a baby safe antibacterial wipe? My DS.sucks his thumb and I don't like the idea of him putting all those germs in his mouth.

Any tips? Thanks!

Answer Question
 
mercilove

Asked by mercilove at 1:51 AM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 10 (434 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • My friend uses the Pacifier wipes...
    BraythansMom

    Answer by BraythansMom at 2:08 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

  • I wouldn't worry too much about it. It will help him build up his immunity. Antibacterial wipes are not intended for the skin. Triclosan (the active ingredient in antibacterial soaps and so forth) would need to be in contact with the skin for 30+ seconds in order to kill ANY bacteria. Plus, there are normal bacteria on your skin.
    If you're really worried about it, use alcohol rub, and make sure it's dry before he sticks his thumb in his mouth.
    As a medical professional, I would recommend just keeping his hands washed in general, and let him suck his thumb as he pleases, or break him of the habit.
    musicpisces

    Answer by musicpisces at 9:13 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

  • I agree, these antibacterial things contain naughty chemicals, I would rather expose my baby to some bacteria. (I work on the field of infant toxicity). I think a good soapy wash is the best you can do causing the least harm.
    I am no big fan of these antibacterial things anyways, they help to generalte resistant strains. Also, they might give you a false sense of security, because they don't kill viruses nor yeast, and those bugs are worse than bacteria. Soap takes care all of this.
    maminti

    Answer by maminti at 10:01 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

  • Soap and water on a washcloth will do, as well as plain water...you don't want to try to totally eliminate germs and bacteria, his immune system is building and working for him....the only time I would worry about that is if you have a sick person in the home or if his immune system has been compromised....
    Anna92464

    Answer by Anna92464 at 12:35 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

  • Antibacterial stuff is WAY overused and that is causing problems. I agree w/ what the others have said. Just wash hands and don't obsess over the germs.
    SoniaL

    Answer by SoniaL at 12:36 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN