Baby Cereal

I've been putting a little cereal in my 8 month olds bottle at night and in the morning. Lately he hasn't been eating as much... not as hungry as he normally is. Could it be the rice.cereal is making him stay full longer?

mercilove

Asked by mercilove at 1:57 AM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think so.
    SamGames23

Answer by SamGames23 at 2:04 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Yes when you give your baby ceral it swells in their tummies and helps them sleep longer and stay fuller for longer. If he/she can set supporttedly you should try giving them stage 1 baby foods (includes cereal) after giving them one flavor wait about 3 days before introducing another. That gives time to see how their tummies will work with the food. Things to look out for are fussyness, gas, and constipation. Let me know who it goes. :) and Good luck
    lyccea_dawn

Answer by lyccea_dawn at 2:08 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Yes, he will be getting a little fuller and should sleep a little longer.
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 2:12 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I kinda thought that was an old wives tale?

.... and that putting cereal in the bottle was dangerous as well as obesity causing?
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:21 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Hmmm, I think this is the first time I have seen someone get a down vote for stating a common fact.

hibbingmom is correct

There are many reasons why one should not put cereal in a bottle and obesity is one of them.

As if the fact that it can also be a choking hazard.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:26 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Yes, I do think that is the reason. Solids should ALWAYS be offered with a spoon. ALWAYS nurse or give a bottle BEFORE offering solids (in the first year).
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:54 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• He is staying full longer because you just sat a brick of cereal in his stomach to sit until it finally digests. You are also filling his TINY stomach up with filler fluff that has very little in the way of good nutrition and keeping him from getting all the milk he needs. It should be his main source of nutrition and calories, but, now it isn't because you put cereal in his bottle. His stomach is supposed to be the size of his fist and a whole bottle of milk with cereal is filling his stomach beyond capacity. Not to mention it is a dangerous practice. If you child is not big enough to sit up on his own and pick up bites of real food and eat them, then he is not ready to eat food poured in a bottle.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:23 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• He also needs 28-32 oz of formula per day. If he isn't or if you are replacing it with cereal in the bottle, then, he is getting NO where near the amount of things he needs.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:25 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Cereal has no nutritional value. He is getting filled up w/ empty calories. That tummy space is better filled w/ formula or breastmilk that has the nutrients he needs. There is ZERO scientific evidence to support the claim that cereal in the bottle causes them to sleep better or longer. In fact, it CAN cause, obesity, choking, digestive issues and allergies.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 8:33 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Sounds like it...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:32 PM on Oct. 12, 2010