What age is a dogs first heat?

Wanting to know what age is their first heat? How long after that before they can mate with anoher dog?

Prayerpartner

Asked by Prayerpartner at 2:40 AM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Pets

• The age can vary on the breed and even the dog itself, but usually the first heat is around 6 months. But a dog shouldnt be bred before tey are 2 years old
    MaryBeth2010

Answer by MaryBeth2010 at 4:55 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• i think it may depend on breed a bit but generally around 6 months has been my experience.
    angelenia

Answer by angelenia at 2:46 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Angelenia is right, it depends on the breed, size, etc but usually around 5-7 months.

And contrary to popular belief, you CAN have them spayed before their first heat unless otherwise recommended by your veterinarian. Please do the animal shelters a favor and spay/neuter your dog. Don't breed while shelter animals are put to sleep daily due to overcrowding!

(Stepping off my soap box now)
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 2:48 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Yes, I think it is about 6 months as well and YES! You can have them fixed before 6 months. We got our cats done at 12 weeks by the SPCA for only a donation.

Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:48 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I have a purebred rottie and she first went into heat at 6 months old.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 3:18 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• The age can vary on the breed and even the dog itself, but usually the first heat is around 6 months.
    MaryBeth2010

Answer by MaryBeth2010 at 4:52 PM on Oct. 12, 2010