What are the chances that I could die when having a c section?

I have extremely low iron and have had to have a blood transfusion with this pregnancy and my doctor said that could cause complications during surgery

lovebunny82709

Asked by lovebunny82709 at 2:59 AM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It's a routine operation, so very low. If you're that concerned about it, ask your doctor.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 3:04 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I had placenta previa and had a hisk risk for bleeding for my c-section too. Everything went perfectly, no complications at all.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 3:17 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Be optimistic u have to take care of the baby also, don't worry 've faith in
    God
    A11

Answer by A11 at 3:29 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Chances are quite slim as it's a routine operation. The most likely complication would be a reaction to the drugs used to knock you out - don't worry, if your doctor was really concerned they wouldn't be letting you have the procedure.
    LoolaBoo

Answer by LoolaBoo at 5:55 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Make sure you're taking your iron. You will reduce the risk of bleeding. Ask your doc what can be done to reduce the risk. You may need another transfusion during/after the surgery.
    Is there a reason you can't have a vaginal birth? The risks are much lower with vaginal birth.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 8:32 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Errard and Gold found with eleven years of statistics that the risk of death from cesarean section was 26 times greater than from vaginal birth (Cohen and Estner 26). Cohen and Estner also cite a study done in Georgia showing a maternal death rate of 59.3 per 100,000 women who had cesarean section versus 9.7/100.000 for women who delivered vaginally.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:04 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I had placenta abruption which caused me to have an emergency c section. I lost a lot of blood and my son was losing oxygen but we did fine during surgery.
    DeegansMomma08

Answer by DeegansMomma08 at 12:29 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I've had 4 and i'm still here. i also bleed more than most during them, at least that's what my doctor said. ask your doctor what your risks are.
    Mamie_85

Answer by Mamie_85 at 12:39 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I have super low blood pressure during my pregnancies, and both of my c-sections were a breeze. Don't worry yourself too much, it's a surgery that those doctors have done time and time again. And there are a ton of a people at the doctors beck and call should a complication arise.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 1:42 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Risks of cesarean

The risks of cesarean birth have been well documented. It is major abdominal surgery and as such carries inherent risks associated with such surgery. Cesarean has now become so commonplace in many countries that these risks are often glossed over or fail to be communicated to the mother before her decision is made.

Complications for the mother

Risk

Maternal death

5-7 times higher than vaginal birth

Emergency Hysterectomy 1 in 110 cesarean births (d)
    Injury to bladder, uterus & blood vessels 2%
    Hemorrhage 1-7%
    Blood clots developing in legs
    6-20 per 1,000 (0.6-2%)

8 times higher than vaginal births

Pulmonary embolism 1-2 per 1,000 (0.1-0.2%)
    Paralyzed bowel -- mild 10-20%
    Paralyzed bowel -- severe 1%
    Infection 50 times higher than vaginal birth
    Require readmission to hospital 2 times higher than vaginal birth
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:05 PM on Oct. 12, 2010