Do you think it's weird/gross?

My LO is 6.5 months now. I had to stop BF because she has many allergies. My milk has dried up already. A few days ago she was overtired and inconsolable. Grasping at straws, I let suckle - just to soothe her. She fell asleep in a few mins. I loved BFing and I love this closeness. Would you consider it weird if I continue to soothe her like that occasionally? My DH seems to think it's inappropriate.

CassyzMom

Asked by CassyzMom at 6:19 AM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ALL babies comfort nurse (assuming they are allowed to). My 18 month old nurses just for comfort every single day... this is no different. Chances are she is getting something, or she will soon because nursing will bring some milk back.

I can't believe some people really can't separate the sexual function from the practical function when it comes to a baby or young child!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 10:57 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• there is absolutely nothing wrong with nursing your baby if she wants to and it's certainly not gross!! You have to keep in mind, however, that just because you think your milk has dried up, does not mean that you won't start producing again. And if you're avoiding BF'ing because she is allergic to things you're consuming, it's probably better not to nurse at all. You can still do kangaroo care -- strip her down to her diaper, take your shirt off, and put her on your chest and wrap both of you up in a blanket.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 7:12 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• If you were still BFing she would still have non-nutritive sucking spells, and she is just a baby. It is neither gross nor weird. You are both doing what nature intended. It's a same you had to quit nursing. I won't be weaning my kids....I am letting them quit on their own. If they are 2 or 3 or 4...that is up to them. I prefer kids to ripen at the vine and will not remove them until they are fully ripened. So go for it momma.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:18 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• In addition to nourishing a child, breastfeeding is also comforting your child, bonding with your child, nursing is about so much more then just food, and OP, you will be happy to learn that plenty of other women do what you are doing.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:57 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I think at 6.5 months it is okay to allow her to be soothed that way keep in mind that you are not nursing for nutrition I would not do it much past a year. If you were nursing for nutrition's sake that's different. But then I have always said kids should be allowed thumbs or pacifiers in bed until they give it up on their own and breast feeding should be done as long as both mother and baby are willing so I feel like I am contradicting myself I'll interested to see how others feel.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:25 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Eventually she needs to be weaned off the boob and if you're all dried up, now is the time to start.
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 7:12 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I think you have to do what is comfortable for you. There is nothing wrong with wanting that closeness to your child and if it seems to help then I think it is okay. I am sure you understand that at some point she is going to need to be weaned from BFing. I would do what you think feels right.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:26 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I don't think it's weird, and it's also possible that you did not completely dry up. Milk is often present LONG after weaning, and sometimes ONLY a baby can extract it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:51 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Oh no, no milk coming out. She just like the soothing suckling and the closeness, I guess. Kinda like a human soother :)
    CassyzMom

Comment by CassyzMom (original poster) at 7:55 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Girl, BF is the greatest and most beautiful gift you can give your babies. The WHO reccomends BF up to 2 years. The AAP I believe reccomends BF as long as mutually desired between mother and child. I BF'd my girl up until this past August, she was 28 mo. I think I was dried up by then, too, as I got pregnant with the 2nd in May and I think I stopped producing but she didn't seem to care. For the last year I've been doing the "Don't offer, don't refuse" method of weaning, and she was down to just comfort nursing if she got an "owie" and for naps & bedtime. Once I became pregnant I got her down to just bedtime and she weaned easily from that.
    I'm sorry you had to stop because of allergies! I loved BF too, and can't wait to share this gift with girl # 2 in the belly come Feb.!
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 8:15 AM on Oct. 12, 2010