Can Alchemy be done?

Alchemy and the laws of equivalent exchange, real or entertaining idea made for movies.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:20 AM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Alchemy came from trying to change regular metals into gold & silver. There are documents stating that they made an "elixer of life" gold, silver & some kind of solvent that would dissolve anything. It's kind of a philosophy almost. And YES, alchemy was practiced for thousands of years, not sure how "real" it is though. BUT, chemistry came from alchemy, which is pretty cool. They practiced it all over Asia thousands of years ago. Some even say that they HAVE turned Led into Gold. I reserached this not too long ago. I was watching an Anime series called "Full Metal Alchemist" And it promped me to look up Alchemy. Here is an article i read about it, got to look for it...found it..

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/generalchemistry/a/aa050601a.htm

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:34 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Hehe I was going to mention Chemistry. Although in alchemy the goal was to turn base metals into gold, it did become the basis for inorganic chemistry. Now we haven't discovered a way to make base metals into gold. It would take changing the chemical makeup of elements into the chemical makeup of gold and there's just no way to "add" or "suntract" protons neutrons and electrons on an individual level/ If you "add" an electron it's either creating an ion or a molecule with covalent bonding.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:26 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• lol. Yep Full Metal Alchemist. lmbo. didn't want to mention this was prompted by a cartoon.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:25 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Well, I'm not master Alchemist, but I've done a good bit of reading and studying of both major Alchemists and Alchemy in general, and yes, it can be and IS done. Just not by me.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:56 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Hee! I immediately thought of FMA when I read this question! :D My dd and I picked up a book over the summer about alchemy. It most definitely can be done, and is done all the time. We are interested in dabbling in it eventually. I just don't have the time to dedicate to it right now. It's a little disappointing that real alchemy is nothing like the alchemy in FMA. What a bummer that I can't make cool weapons and stuff out of everyday objects. LoL! XD

I think the name of the book we checked out was about medicinal alchemy. It was called "Alchemic Medicine for the 21st Century" it was very interesting.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:30 PM on Oct. 12, 2010