TRUTH does anyone else let their infants sleep on their tummy's once in a while?

I know they say not to but while I am in the living room during the day I let my one month old sleep on her tummy. She sleeps a lot better and seems so much more comfortable. I check on her a lot and am never to far because she is out here with me in the living room. My mom put me on my stomach and for years thats how we all slept. Is it really a bigger risk for sids? What I read says there is lots of ideas about sids and it may be something to do with a breathing problem and no one realizes it.

rhimarie

Asked by rhimarie at 1:10 AM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As soon as my son was able to move his head really well I let him sleep on his tummy. He slept so much better that way. Yeah, 30 years ago they said to put a child to sleep on their tummy to prevent SIDS, 20 years ago it was their side and now we are on the back. They don't have any clue what they are doing and just remake the rules every few years.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:15 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• My daughter wouldn't sleep on her back. I put her on her tummy without anything else in her crib. And as soon as she learned to turn over, I couldn't keep her on her back for anything. She is 18 months now.
    MaddisonsMomma

Answer by MaddisonsMomma at 1:19 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• UNSUPERVISED tummy sleeping IS a no-no and increases the risk of SIDS...however, you supervise her when she sleeps on her tummy and you check to make sure she is still breathing. I think you are doing a great job. I would NOT let her tummy-sleep unsupervised until she is able to roll over.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 1:20 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I never let my daughter sleep on her tummy untill she was able to roll over by herself. I always had her on her back so she never knew what it was like to sleep on her tummy untill she rolled over. My pediatrician says that once baby can roll themselves over there is a mch reduced rick of sids. He said I should still put her bed on her back though to reduce the amount of time on her tummy, which I always do.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 1:24 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Nathan has slept on his back since he was like 3 days old.

He's 4 months now. Has never got sids!
    GINABELLE88

Answer by GINABELLE88 at 2:54 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• my daughter also ALWAYS slept on her tummy..she hated being on her back..shes 4 and a half now..lol..so i think shes ok!!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:27 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Yes. He sleeps better that way. I check on him a lot though because I'm worried. My mom raised 7 kids and we all slept on our tummies and came out fine. :)
    salamaat

Answer by salamaat at 4:09 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:35 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• My son has slept on his tummy since he was 6 weeks. Would have been sooner but it took me that long to work up the nerve to try it. ;-) He sleeps much better that way. I was worried but I always had him in the room with me. He slept on his side at night (next to me, we coslept) but in his bed he was always on his tummy.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 4:38 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Truth: Never. I'd rather never sleep in my life than take the risk.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:41 AM on Oct. 27, 2008